WILMINGTON, NC (UNCW News Release) - Senior midfielder Rafael Andrade Santos scored the game's only goal just 17 seconds into the second overtime period as VCU earned its second straight overtime victory after edging No. 15 UNCW, 1-0, on Saturday night at UNCW Soccer Stadium.
The Rams, who edged Coastal Carolina by an identical 1-0 margin six days ago, evened their record to 3-3-0 while UNCW falls to 7-2-0 after having its four-game win streak snapped.
Santos, who scored his third goal of the season, gave VCU the victory when he collected a loose ball near midfield and made a long run before firing a shot from 18 yards into the lower left corner.
Freshman goalkeeper Mario Sequeira made seven saves in the victory for VCU, which was outshot by a 22-4 margin.
Redshirt junior goalkeeper Ryan Cretens tallied two saves for the Seahawks.
- UNCW and VCU met for the first time since the 2011 season. The Rams have posted a 2-0-1 record in the last three encounters against the Seahawks and hold a 12-6-3 series edge.
- The Seahawks took a season-high 22 shots against VCU, marking the highest single-game shot total by UNCW since a 22-shot effort against Delaware on Oct. 24, 2009.
- UNCW was shut out for the first time this season.
- Sophomore forward Phillip Goodrum led the Seahawks with six shots while junior midfielder David Lozano added five attempts.
- The Seahawks held VCU to a season-low four shots.