PGA's Phil Mickelson inspires teen to take up golf - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

PGA's Phil Mickelson inspires teen to take up golf

Garrett Hardy, 13, looks up to one of the professional golfers who will be teeing off at the Wells Fargo Championship. (Source: WECT) Garrett Hardy, 13, looks up to one of the professional golfers who will be teeing off at the Wells Fargo Championship. (Source: WECT)
The autographed photo sent to Garrett from Phil Mickelson. (Source: WECT) The autographed photo sent to Garrett from Phil Mickelson. (Source: WECT)

Garrett Hardy, 13, looks up to one of the professional golfers who will be teeing off at the Wells Fargo Championship, which starts next week.

The two have something in common.

Two years ago, Hardy started experiencing joint pain, swelling and rashes that sent him to the doctor several times.

His parents took him to Duke to see a specialist who made the diagnosis: psoriatic arthritis, a painful disorder that causes joint pain and swelling.

There's no cure for the condition, which is uncommon in kids Hardy's age.

“It’s hard,” he said. “I’ve missed a couple days of school. I’ll get up in the morning and I’ll be aching. Playing sometimes is hard because my back will hurt and I’ll have to sit down for a while.”

Hardy has to take several pills a day and an injection once a week to manage the symptoms.

“Secretly, my husband and I have been sad at times,” said Jamie Hardy, Garrett’s mom. “We don’t bring that. We try to stay positive and pray and talk about it when we need to, but not focus on it like that’s defining him. I don’t want him to feel like that.”

His pain, though, meant he had to give up sports he played, like football.

“I knew I wouldn’t be able to do some things that other kids can,” Garrett said. “I just try to do the best for my body.”

Then, one day, Garrett’s mom said they saw Phil Mickelson on TV talking about living with psoriatic arthritis. Mickelson was diagnosed with the condition in 2010

“Seeing someone like that, so good at golf, I feel like I can almost do anything,” Garrett said.

He was inspired to take up the game.

“I started hitting and it just got more fun as I went,” he said.

Garrett even wrote to Mickelson.

A few weeks ago, the golfer responded, sending an autographed glove and autographed photo.

“I was really happy,” Garrett said. “It makes me feel like someone actually knows how I feel. It was important to me.”

Garrett and his family hope to meet Mickelson when he’s in town.  If that doesn’t happen, they’re looking forward to cheering on Garrett’s favorite player on the tour when he plays in the Wells Fargo Championship.

Copyright 2017 WECT. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Man allegedly killed family, burned bodies in TX

Tuesday, June 19 2018 7:03 AM EDT2018-06-19 11:03:50 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 8:25 AM EDT2018-06-19 12:25:59 GMT

Robert Satterfield is facing murder charges in the deaths of a man, woman and their young child.

3-year-old saves mom's life in MI

Tuesday, June 19 2018 6:37 AM EDT2018-06-19 10:37:46 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 6:54 AM EDT2018-06-19 10:54:25 GMT

A 3-year-old girl ran several blocks home to get help after witnessing her mother suffer a seizure.

Twin brothers reunited 74 years after WWII death at Normandy

Tuesday, June 19 2018 6:00 AM EDT2018-06-19 10:00:39 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 8:43 AM EDT2018-06-19 12:43:57 GMT
    (Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms.(Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms.
    (Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, June 13, 2018, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms. For decades, he had a number for a name, Unknown X-9...(Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, June 13, 2018, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms. For decades, he had a number for a name, Unknown X-9...

For decades, he was known only as Unknown X-9352 at a World War II American cemetery in Belgium where he was interred.