our First Alert Weather Team ranks the top five local weather events of 2016. (Source: WECT)
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -
This year will be remembered as a warm and wet year in the Cape Fear Region - heavy on thunderstorms and tropical systems and light on winter weather.
Your First Alert Weather Team ranks the top five local weather events of 2016:
5. Major thunderstorm in Wilmington on July 19
4. EF-1 tornado touchdown in New Hanover County on May 5
3. Early-season Tropical Storms Bonnie and Colin in May and June
2. Soggy September Tropical Storms Hermine and Julia
1. Hurricane Matthew on October 8 and the flooding that followed
Like 2015, Wilmington finished 2016 with an annual rain tally of more than 70 inches. The Port City's highest temperature was 98 on July 27 and its lowest temperature was 21 on Jan. 19 and 20 and also Feb. 14.
Thank you for trusting your First Alert Weather Team in 2016. We'd be honored to have your trust in 2017.