Courtesy Trent Brinkley
Game 20: Monroe Community College (20-2) vs Cape Fear Community College (17-2)
Game Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2016
Kick-Off Time: 12:30 p.m. (EST)
Location: Eastern Florida State College (3865 North Wickham Road Melbourne, FL 32935)
Tournament Coverage: Live Video- http://www.efsctitans.com/webcast
Melbourne, FL --- The #11 seeded Sea Devil Women's Soccer program will look to rebound in their second game in Pool B competition versus Monroe Community College as they continue their road for a national championship on Tuesday afternoon in the second day in the 2016 NJCAA Division I National Women's Soccer Championship Tournament.
The Sea Devils fell in the opening day of Pool B play versus the Grizzles of Butler Community College by the score of (0-3) on Monday afternoon.
The Grizzles got to an early (1-0) lead in the fifth minute of the game when Colleen Howland netted her 30th goal of the season on a header goal following a set pass from Sam Simmons. Butler would take a (1-0) lead into halftime before scoring two goals in the second half; 74th minute goal by Taylor Spencer, and 82nd minute sliding goal by Lauren Allan whose goal was assisted by a through pass by Lexi Clark.
The Sea Devils enter Tuesday's game versus the Tribunes with a (17-2) overall record and are in search for their first points in Pool B standings. With a win, the Sea Devils would be tied with Butler CC with 3 Points at the top of the leaderboard; with a tie, Cape Fear would be tied for second place in Pool B with 1 Point on the leaderboard.
Monroe Community College enters their first game of Pool B play versus Cape Fear with a (12-3-2) overall record, and a (1-0) in Region 3 Conference Play.
This is Monroe Community College's first game in Pool B competition in the tournament; the Tribunes will then play Butler Community College on Wednesday at 12:30pm (EST).
"We will need to recover quickly and be focused in to play a very strong MCC team from Rochester," said Sea Devil Women's Soccer head coach Ryan Deppa in his pre-game presser leading up to Tuesday's game versus the Tribunes.
Kick-off for Tuesday's match for the Sea Devils versus Monroe CC is scheduled for 12:30pm (EST).
Mic'Ed Up: Head Coach Ryan Deppa's Pre-Game Press Conference
Coach Deppa's thoughts when asked on how the team is performing to this point
"We are enjoying the team experience in Melbourne, Florida at the National Tournament"
Coach Deppa's thoughts when asked what the biggest keys for his Sea Devils' squad vs Monroe CC
"We will need to recover quickly and be focused in to play a very strong MCC team from Rochester"
About Cape Fear Community College
Mascot: Sea Devils
Record: (17-2) Overall, (11-1) in Region 10 Conference Play
- Ryan Deppa, Head Coach (2nd season at Cape Fear CC; Career Record at Cape Fear (28-8))
- Chris Murray, Volunteer Assistant Coach (1st season at Cape Fear CC; former collegiate player at UNC-Wilmington, former pro soccer player for Indiana Invaders and Wilmington Hammerheads)
Players to Watch:
- Freshman MF Anna Massengill- 4G, 1A, 9 PTS, .417 SOG% (.333 Shot%)
- Sophomore M/F Emily Valenti- 3G, 2A, 8 PTS, .125 SOG% (.188 Shot%)
- Sophomore M/F Raime Cooper- 2G, 7A, 11 PTS, .304 SOG% (.087 Shot%)
- Freshman MF Ashley Carter- 1G, 3A, 5 PTS, .273 SOG% (.091 Shot%)
- Freshman GK Elizabeth Ethridge- 1257:06 Minutes Played, 11 GA, 83 SV, .883 Save%
Cape Fear CC is Striking for Success
- Sea Devil Women's Soccer has won seven games in-a-row leading up to the tournament
- Have outscored their opponents (31-5) in those seven straight wins; includes two shutouts
- Cape Fear has shutout their opponents in 10 of 18 games played this year; outscored their opponents (46-0) in those shutouts
- Sophomore Alyssa Coustenis leads the team with 17 goals scored this season; 15 total players this season have scored at least one or more goals
Take 5: Top 5 Sea Devils' Team Statistics
1. Cape Fear has scored 75 goals (3.95 per Game); have only conceded 14 goals (0.74 GAA)
2. Cape Fear has scored 16 game-winning goals in 19 games; opponents have only scored 2
3. Cape Fear has recorded 450 total shots this season; only haven given up 104 shots
4. Cape Fear's players have combined for 212 total points; opposing players combined have 36
5. Cape Fear's goalkeepers have combined for 108 saves, and a .885 Save%
Scouting Monroe Community College
Record: (12-3-2) Overall, (1-0) in Region 3 Conference Play
Coaching Staff: Sal Galvano, Head Coach (9th season at Monroe CC; Career Record at Monroe (120-33-5))
Players to Watch:
- Freshman MF Eleni Markou- 25G, 10A, 60 PTS, .578 SOG% (.278 Shot%)
- Freshman MF Elin Eklund- 13G, 10A, 36 PTS, .704 SOG% (.241 Shot%)
- Freshman F Bayley Kralik- 8G, 7A, 23 PTS, .625 SOG% (.250 Shot%)
- Soph. F Marla Roberts- 7G, 4A, 18 PTS, .595 SOG% (.167 Shot%)
- Soph. GK Caitie Broderick- 15 GP, 1189:11 Minutes Played, 11 GA, .845 Save%, 60 SV
Support the Sea Devils during 2016 NJCAA D1 Women's Soccer Championship Tournament
Watch the Sea Devil Women's Soccer games during the 2016 NJCAA D1 Women's Soccer Championship Tournament on Eastern Florida State College's website, hosted and courtesy of NJCAA TV.
Simply click here: http://www.efsctitans.com/webcast
Follow the team on Twitter @SeaDevilWSoccer for behind-the-scenes coverage from the Sea Devil Women's Soccer program during the 2016 NJCAA D1 Women's Soccer Championship Tournament!