Burr, Ross campaigns squabble over debates - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Burr, Ross campaigns squabble over debates

The campaigns of Sen. Richard Burr and challenger Deborah Ross are squabbling over possible debates ahead of the November 8th General Election. (Source: WECT) The campaigns of Sen. Richard Burr and challenger Deborah Ross are squabbling over possible debates ahead of the November 8th General Election. (Source: WECT)
RALEIGH, NC (WECT) -

The campaigns for Sen. Richard Burr and his opponent, Deborah Ross, are squabbling over possible debates during the campaign for Burr’s U.S. Senate seat.

Ross, the Democratic nominee and former state representative, sent a letter to Burr, the two-term incumbent Republican, asking him to agree to debates before early voting begins ahead of the General Election, set for Nov. 8. Ross cites the recent court ruling overturning the state’s voter ID law, which will reinstate a week of early voting.

“It is my hope that we can agree to those debates soon and that they take place in advance of the early voting period,” Ross said in the letter to Burr.  “I hope that despite our disagreements on policy, we can agree that an open, in-depth, and civil discussion will best provide the people of North Carolina the information they need to choose their United States Senator.”

Ross agreed to a series of four debates earlier in the campaign, including one proposed by WECT and the League of Women Voters of the Lower Cape Fear.  According to a news release from Ross’ campaign, Burr has not agreed to any debates and has only agreed to negotiate one debate.

"We find Deborah Ross’ actions today to be nothing more than political gamesmanship given that the campaigns sat down with the North Carolina Association of Broadcasters last week for negotiations,” said Jesse Hunt, Communications Director for the Richard Burr for US Senate campaign. “This undermines the spirit of those discussions, and raises serious questions and doubts about the candidate’s campaign negotiating team." 

When Burr visited Wilmington on Monday, WECT asked whether he would agree to a debate hosted by the station and the LWVLCF. “We will get back to you,” was his reply at the time. 

The following is the content of the letter sent by Ross to Burr, according to Ross’ campaign:

August 3, 2016
Richard Burr for Senate
Post Office Box 5928
Winston-Salem, NC 27113
 
Dear Senator Burr:

As you may be aware, Friday’s decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals overturned North Carolina’s Voter ID law and allows for early voting to begin as early as October 20th. Voters will have the opportunity to cast their ballots earlier, and our debate schedule should reflect our state’s law.  

In June, I proposed that we engage in a series of four debates that will allow voters to hear directly from us. Too often in campaigns like this, the airwaves become crowded with political ads. It’s important that voters hear where we stand on the issues important to them, their businesses, and their families directly from us. By committing to a series of four debates, we can address the full range of those issues on which our policy approaches differ: the protection of Social Security and Medicare, tax relief for working people, the importance of investing in North Carolina’s economy, and our nation’s foreign policy.

It is my hope that we can agree to those debates soon and that they take place in advance of the early voting period. 
I hope that despite our disagreements on policy, we can agree that an open, in-depth, and civil discussion will best provide the people of North Carolina the information they need to choose their United States Senator.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Very truly yours,

Deborah Ross

Copyright 2016 WECT. All rights reserved.
 

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Julia Boseman to run again for county commissioner

    Julia Boseman to run again for county commissioner

    Friday, January 12 2018 3:40 PM EST2018-01-12 20:40:38 GMT

    Julia Boseman told WECT Friday that she will run again this year in the New Hanover County Commissioners' race. 

    More >>

    Julia Boseman told WECT Friday that she will run again this year in the New Hanover County Commissioners' race. 

    More >>
  • Former NHC Sheriff's Office Lieutenant plans to run for Pender Sheriff's seat

    Former NHC Sheriff's Office Lieutenant plans to run for Pender Sheriff's seat

    Thursday, December 7 2017 1:08 PM EST2017-12-07 18:08:55 GMT
    Joseph Cina, a former WPD officer and NHC Sheriff's Lieutenant, says he plans to run for Pender County Sheriff in 2018. (Source: Joseph Cina)Joseph Cina, a former WPD officer and NHC Sheriff's Lieutenant, says he plans to run for Pender County Sheriff in 2018. (Source: Joseph Cina)

    Joseph A. Cina, who has law enforcement experience with the Wilmington Police Department and the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office, said in a news release that he plans to run for Sheriff in Pender County in 2018, to succeed the retiring Sheriff Carson Smith.

    More >>

    Joseph A. Cina, who has law enforcement experience with the Wilmington Police Department and the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office, said in a news release that he plans to run for Sheriff in Pender County in 2018, to succeed the retiring Sheriff Carson Smith.

    More >>
  • Rev. Clifford Barnett joins Wilmington City Council

    Rev. Clifford Barnett joins Wilmington City Council

    Tuesday, December 5 2017 11:36 PM EST2017-12-06 04:36:46 GMT
    Rev. Clifford Barnett takes the oath of office from District Court Judge James Faison to become the newest member of Wilmington City Council. (Source: WECT)Rev. Clifford Barnett takes the oath of office from District Court Judge James Faison to become the newest member of Wilmington City Council. (Source: WECT)

    The Wilmington City Council welcomed a new member Tuesday night, and welcomed back three others for new terms.

    More >>

    The Wilmington City Council welcomed a new member Tuesday night, and welcomed back three others for new terms.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly