WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Happy Cinco De Mayo!
The holiday marks the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, when a small Mexican force defended that town from a large group of French invaders. It is not the Mexican equivalent of America's Independence Day. However, it's become a tradition to celebrate Mexican culture on the day. For many, that means indulging in Mexican dishes and drinks.
On The Border shared its guacamole recipe with us live on WECT News First at Four today.
2-3 whole ripe avocados (depending on size)
2 Tablespoons diced tomato
1 ½ Tablespoons finely chopped, seedless jalapeño
1 Tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime wedge
½ teaspoon salt
* Scoop avocado meat from the skins into a medium sized mixing bowl (glass or wooden bowl … not metal)
* Using forks, mash the avocado to a chunky/creamy consistency
* Squeeze the juice of your lime wedge into your avocado
* Add tomato, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro and salt. Gently fold it all in to the avocado mixture
* Serve with tortilla chips
Don't want to stay in? Yesterday on First at Four, Yelp Wilmington gave some recommendations on which local restaurants to check out: