News release from UNCW:
ELON, North Carolina – The 67th-ranked UNCW men’s tennis team advanced to its sixth Colonial Athletic Association championship match in the last eight years with a 4-1 victory over fourth-seeded William & Mary early Saturday at Elon’s Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
The top-seeded Seahawks won their third straight match and improved to 12-8 on the season. UNCW will face the winner of #2 Charleston vs. #3 Elon on Sunday at 10 a.m. The Tribe, defending CAA champions, wound up 15-9 this spring.
In Saturday’s pairing, the Seahawks won the doubles point for the 12th time this season and added three singles victories to earn a shot at their fifth CAA crown since 2009.
UNCW split the first two matches off the court in doubles before the No. 3 tandem of Agustin Savarino and John Hublitz stayed unbeaten through four outings with a 6-2 verdict over W&M’s Lars de Boer and Damon Niquet to nail down the point.
Freshman Aviv Ben Shabat increased the lead to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-3, triumph over de Boer at No. 4 singles before Aidan Talcott got W&M on the board with a 6-2, 6-3, victory against UNCW’s Xander Veys at No. 4 singles.
But the Seahawks closed out the match behind sophomore Andres Torres and Savarino. Torres trimmed Niquet, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 6 singles and Savarino defeated Alec Miller, 6-2, 7-6 (3), for his third match-clincher of the campaign.
#1 UNCW 4, #4 William & Mary 1
2016 CAA Men’s Tennis Semifinals
April 23, 2016 | Jimmy Powell Tennis Center | Elon, N.C.
1. #120 Santtu Leskinen (UNCW) vs. Christian Cargill (WM) 7-6 (7-4), 5-3, unfinished
2. Christiaan Van der Burgh (UNCW) vs. Addison Appleby (WM) 6-2, 3-6, 1-1, unfinished
3. Agustin Savarino (UNCW) def. Alec Miller (WM) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Aviv Ben Shabat (UNCW) def. Lars de Boer (WM) 6-3, 6-3
5. Aidan Talcott (WM) def. Xander Veys (UNCW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Andres Torres (UNCW) def. Damon Niquet (WM) 6-2, 7-5
1. Christian Cargill/Scott Huang (WM) def. Christiaan Van der Burgh/Aviv Ben Shabat (UNCW) 6-3
2. Santtu Leskinen/Taylor Cramer (UNCW) def. Ryan Newman/Tristan Bautil (WM) 6-2
3. Agustin Savarino/Josh Hublitz (UNCW) def. Lars de Boer/Damon Niquet (WM) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,5,6,3)