GREENSBORO, North Carolina – Fourth-seeded College of Charleston blanked No. 5 UNCW, 4-0, in the quarterfinals of the 2016 Colonial Athletic Association Women's Tennis Championships on Friday at Starmount Forest Country Club.
The match, moved indoors because of inclement weather in the area, ended UNCW's season at 9-9 under first-year head coach Hans Olsen. The Cougars carry a 16-11 record into Saturday's semifinal round.
The Seahawks lost in the CAA quarterfinals for the second straight season and dropped a match to the Cougars for the second time in 13 days. CofC edged UNCW, 4-3, on April 9 at the UNCW Courts.
The two teams played singles first in Friday's match and CofC got off to a quick start, winning the first four pairings off the court for the decision.
CofC's Mara Argyriou topped Laura Gomez, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 4 position and Liza Fieldsend trimmed Annika Sillanpaa, 6-4, 6-3, at the top of the lineup for a 2-0 advantage. After Brooke McAmis beat Alix Theodossiou, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 3, Katherine Schofield defeated Christine Kharkevitch, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 2 to clinch the match.
#4 College of Charleston 4, #5 UNCW 0
2016 CAA Women's Tennis Championships | Quarterfinals
Friday, April 22, 2016 | Starmount Forest Country Club | Greensboro, N.C.
1. Liza Fieldsend (COFCW) def. Annika Sillanpaa (UNCW) 6-4, 6-3
2. Katherine Schofield (COFCW) def. Christine Kharkevitch (UNCW) 6-2, 6-4
3. Brooke McAmis (COFCW) def. Alix Theodossiou (UNCW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Mara Argyriou (COFCW) def. Laura Gomez (UNCW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Sabrina Barisano (UNCW) vs. Helena Nyikos (COFCW) no result
6. Hollie Champion (UNCW) vs. Sarah Jane Jones (COFCW) no result