WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A major expansion and renovation is currently underway for New Hanover Regional Medical Center's Zimmer Cancer Center.
All services will remain fully operational during the $14.5 million project, which is expected to be completed in fall 2017.
"Our patients told us what is important to them, and we have designed the new NHRMC Zimmer Cancer Center with their needs in mind," said Henry Hawthorne, administrator of oncology services for NHRMC. "We're creating an environment that is supportive and healing and brings together a larger team of experts to deliver the best care possible."
Once construction has been completed, Cape Fear Cancer Specialists -- NHRMC Physician Group will move its Wilmington practice to the Zimmer Cancer Center.
During construction, a new entrance, registration area and lobby to the left of the Center's previous entrance will be used.
The Center's design plans include:
- Patient care areas and onsite offices for the physicians and staff of Cape Fear Cancer Specialists.
- Space for gynecologic oncology, surgical oncology, radiation oncology and multi-disciplinary programs.
- Expanded capacity of infusion stations from 15 to 48, tailored to suit patients’ preferences for privacy or socialization.
- Access to diagnostics, outpatient infusion, clinical trials, treatment options, community resources and support groups.
- An information and inspiration center to offer patients educational resources and inspiration to help support a sense of belonging and community.