UNCW Press Release
WILMINGTON, North Carolina – Senior forward Skylar Wilks scored the game's lone goal in the 11th minute as Florida Gulf Coast outlasted UNCW to earn a 1-0 non-conference victory over the Seahawks at UNCW Soccer Stadium on Saturday evening.
The win allowed the Eagles to improve to 7-3-3 on the season while earning their third win in the last four games. UNCW, which was playing its final home game of the season, dropped to 8-6-3 with its second straight loss.
Wilks gave FGCU a 1-0 lead at the 10:11 mark when he took a long pass from sophomore midfielder Miguel Jaime and blasted a shot past senior goalkeeper Sam Williams.
The Seahawks outshot Florida Gulf Coast by a 9-5 margin, but senior goalkeeper Nathan Ingham made three saves, including two in the second half, to preserve the victory for the Eagles.
• UNCW and Florida Gulf Coast met for the first time in men's soccer on Saturday night.
• Each of the Seahawks' last six games have been decided by a goal or less.
• UNCW held Florida Gulf Coast to just five shots in the contest, matching a season low. It is also the seventh time UNCW has limited an opponent to under 10 shots.
• The Seahawks honored their 11-member senior class in a pre-game ceremony.
• UNCW finished its home schedule with a 5-4-1 record.
What's Ahead for the Seahawks:
Tuesday, Nov. 3 at Charlotte (7 p.m.) • Transamerica Field, Charlotte, N.C.
Saturday, Nov. 7 at Delaware (Time TBA) • CAA Quarterfinals • Stuart and Suzanne Grant Stadium, Newark, Del.
Friday, Nov. 13 – CAA Semifinals (Time TBA) • Hofstra Soccer Stadium, Hempstead, N.Y.
College Men's Soccer: Florida Gulf Coast 1, UNCW 0
FGCU 1 0 - 1
UNCW 0 0 - 0
Goals: FGCU – Skylar Wilks (10:11); UNCW – n/a. Assists: FGCU – Miguel Jaime; UNCW – n/a. Saves: FGCU – Nathan Ingham 3 (90:00, 0 goals allowed); UNCW – Sam Williams 0 (45:00, 1 goals allowed), Sean Melvin 1 (45:00, 0 goals allowed). Shots: FGCU – 5; UNCW – 9. Corner Kicks: FGCU – 2; UNCW – 7. Attendance: 574.