Coastal Horizons Center
615 Shipyard Blvd, Wilmington, NC 28412
What kind of services and programs do you offer for heroin users?
- Coastal Horizons Center provides confidential outpatient treatment, including Opioid Treatment Program services (Methadone and Buprenorphine/Naloxone), Substance Abuse Intensive Outpatient Treatment, Basic Individual, Group and Family Therapy, and Medication Management. We can provide referrals for Inpatient detoxification and stabilization. We also provide some limited housing options through our HARRTS and HUD Horizons Housing programs.
- Horizons Health is available on-site to provide team-based primary care, including health coaching, for all of our outpatient treatment patients. Free HIV and Hepatitis testing is also available.
Do you provide detox?
We provide Opioid Maintenance Therapy – including Induction, Stabilization and Taper. We do not offer inpatient detoxification at our facility, but we have a strong network of referral sources and can refer and link patients with inpatient detox.
Do I have to stay on site or can I commute from home?
All of our services – except for our HARRTS Residential program - are provided on an outpatient basis. We do not offer inpatient services. Therefore, all patients commute from home.
For how long?
Outpatient Treatment – including Opioid Treatment Program Services – are offered for as long as treatment is beneficial to the patient.
What will it cost?
- Outpatient Treatment fees are based on insurance coverage or, if patients are uninsured, State funding may be available which will allow a “sliding scale” discount on fees. Fees for SAIOP range from $0 - $1500 for the 13 week course of SAIOP. Fees for OTP (Methadone or Suboxone dispensing) range from $20 - $70 per week. There is no co-payment for patients with North Carolina Medicaid. Earned and elective take-home doses (not covered by Medicaid or State funding) are $4.00 per day.
- Horizons Health (primary care) fees are also based on insurance coverage or, if patients are uninsured, primary care services are usually provided for a minimal $3 co-pay. HIV and Hepatitis testing are provided at no charge.
Do you take insurance?
We accept North Carolina Medicaid, Medicare, and are in–network with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of North Carolina. Other insurances may vary based on out of network or exception benefit coverage.
What kind of success rate does your program have?
Our outcome data (source NCTOPPS) shows that, over the past year, after 12 months of treatment:
- 75% of heroin users in our treatment program were abstinent from heroin or other opiates.
- 79% of marijuana smokers were abstinent at 12 months. Overall drug use was eliminated for 46% of patients.
- Co-occurring mental health symptoms were reduced by 75%, and general feelings of emotional well-being doubled.
- Physical violence – both toward others and victimization – reduced from 10% before treatment to 0% at 12 months.
- Suicidal thoughts were reduced by 67%, and suicide attempts were reduced from a rate of 10% in the three months prior to treatment to zero after 12 months, for all patients.
- Full time employment increased from 12% at admission to 40% at 12 months, and unemployment rates of our patient decreased from 84% at admission to 30% during the first 12 months of treatment. (Part time employment rose from 4% at admission to 30% at 12 months.)
What kind of support is offered after I complete your program?
Coastal Horizons Center offers transition to natural community supports, private physicians, or other service providers.
Where are you located?
We are located at 615 Shipyard Blvd., Wilmington, NC.
What will I need to bring with me?
Please bring your photo ID and any insurance cards to your appointment.
What kind of confidentiality do you offer guests?
All of our services are protected by both HIPAA and 42CFR Part 2.
Do you offer a crisis hotline? What's the phone number?
Current patients may utilize our First Responder services by calling 685-0205. This is not a crisis hotline for people who are not current patients of CHC. People who are not current patients of CHC may utilize crisis services by calling Trillium's Call Center at 1-866-998-2597.