Prescription drugs are availalble to help people get a better night's sleep, but the side effects and addictive properties may not be worth it to most. Here are some drug-free ways to get some shut eye:
1) Adjust your thinking. If you spend all day wondering whether or not you're going to get a good night's sleep… You probably won't.
2) Cut out caffeine afternoon.
3) Don't take a nap in the middle of the day. There's only so much sleep you can get in a 24-hour hour period.
4) Try a hot bath. Your body temperature drops naturally as you doze off. If you take a hot bath, warm your body up, your core body heat will be dropping from getting out of the bath and it will be dropping naturally… making for better, deeper sleep.
5) Exercise- but do it at least three hours before bedtime.
6) Make your room a haven for sleep: No TV's, no computers and keep it cool and dark.
7) Avoid alcohol at least five hours before bedtime.
8) Along those same lines, eat your last heavy meal at least five hours before bedtime.
9) Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day—including weekends.