NC GOP offering free rides for anyone to get Voter IDs

NC GOP offering free rides for anyone to get Voter IDs

RALEIGH, NC (WECT) - The North Carolina Republican Party plans to work with local organizations to offer free rides to anyone needing a valid photo identification to vote in the state's 2016 elections.

In a news release, party officials say they will drive “any North Carolinian in need of a valid photo ID to vote to the nearest DMV location to get a free photo ID free of charge”.

To request a free ride, applicants should log on to

and fill out the proper form. The group says volunteers will contact the applicant to arrange a time to provide the free ride.

“The photo ID law passed by the Republican leaders is a common-sense measure to protect the integrity of our elections,” Todd Poole, Executive Director of the North Carolina Republican Party said in a statement. “You already need a photo ID to buy Sudafed, to board a plane and to drive a car. And now there is no excuse for people not to get a valid ID to be able vote. Our state-wide network of thousands of volunteers stands ready to help anyone of any political persuasion in need of a valid ID.”

Beginning in 2016, North Carolina law requires voters to show a photo identification to vote. A person without a valid photo ID is able to get one free of charge from the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles.

Starting in 2016, voters must present one of the following forms of identification to vote in person:

•    A North Carolina drivers license, learner's permit or provisional license.

•    A special identification card for non-operators issued under G.S. 20-37.7.

•    A United States passport.

•    A United States military identification card.

•    A Veterans Identification Card issued by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs for use at Veterans Administration medical facilities.

•    A tribal enrollment card issued by a federally recognized tribe, provided that if the tribal enrollment card does not contain a printed expiration date.

•    A tribal enrollment card issued by a tribe recognized by this State under Chapter 71A of the General Statutes, that is signed by an elected official of the tribe.

•    A drivers license or non-operators identification card issued by another state, the District of Columbia, or a territory or commonwealth of the United States, but only if the voter's voter registration was within 90 days of the election.

Copyright 2015 WECT. All rights reserved.