NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - The New Hanover County Sheriff's Office is warning residents of phone call scams soliciting money for various fictitious scenarios after recently receiving new reports in the county.
The Sheriff's Office says scammers are utilizing spoofing software technology to hide their location and manipulate phone ID.
Officials are advising residents to not send money over the phone or through the Internet without thoroughly exploring the sources.
Some general guidelines to follow when considering making a donation to an organization over the phone:
- Ask the solicitor what percentage of funds actually raised goes to the charity and what goes to fundraising
- Insist on receiving materials by U.S. mail and never allow a courier to pick up your contribution
- Do not be swayed by professional-looking materials alone
- Reputable organizations can provide copies of their annual report and their official IRS letter designating the organization a tax-exempt 501(c)(3)
- To inquire if a charity is licensed in North Carolina, call (919) 807-2214
If you have any questions or concerns please call the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office at 910-798-4162.