City council to discuss Riverwalk, DOT projects, and Water Stree - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

City council to discuss Riverwalk, DOT projects, and Water Street parking deck

Posted: Updated:
The Wilmington City Council has a full slate of items to discuss at its next meeting on Tuesday, August 19. (Source: WECT) The Wilmington City Council has a full slate of items to discuss at its next meeting on Tuesday, August 19. (Source: WECT)
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -

The Wilmington City Council has a full slate of items to discuss during its next meeting on Tuesday, August 19.

Among the items the council plans to discuss will be improvements to a section of the Riverwalk, funding for proposed NC DOT bike and pedestrian projects, moving forward with the replacement of the Water Street parking deck, and studying the potential establishment of a municipal service district in downtown.

Riverwalk improvements

A concrete platform supporting a section of the Riverwalk next to the historic Brooks building is deteriorating and in need of replacement.

City council plans to demolish the platform and replace it with a free-standing section.

City Council will vote on an agreement to compensate the unit owners' association $60,000 for the demolition of the platform.

Proposed NC DOT bike/pedestrian projects

City council will commit to funding its mandatory 20 percent match, the federal government covers the remaining 80 percent, on several proposed bike and pedestrian projects should they be selected by the NC DOT.

Here is a list of those projects:

  • S. 17th Street multi-use path
  • Pine Grove bicycle lanes
  • Carolina Beach Rd multi-use path
  • Wooster St. sidewalk
  • Peachtree Ave. bicycle lanes
  • Independence Blvd. multi-use path
  • Masonboro Loop multi-use path
  • N. 23rd St. bicycle lanes

Water Street Deck

City council will consider a resolution for DFI (The UNC School of Government's Development Finance Initiative) to solicit potential developers for replacing the aging Water Street parking deck.

DFI would evaluate all proposals and make a recommendation to the City Staff, would also perform an evaluation before making a final recommendation to the city council.

Some of the improvements the city council want to implement for the parking deck include:

  • A mixed use project that would consist of parking, 175-225 residential units, and 18,000-22,000 square feet of retail space;
  • Approximately 600-650 parking spaces, in an above-ground deck;
  • Reopen Chestnut Street and connecting to Bijou Park;
  • Adhering to existing city height restrictions, with some flexibility available to reward high-quality design

Municipal Service District study

City council plans to review a resolution with Wilmington Downtown Inc (WDI) to review the potential establishment of a municipal service district (MSD) in downtown.

The city would pay WDI $30,000 to conduct the evaluation and make a recommendation to the city as to how to proceed with a MSD by May 1, 2015.

MSDs are used in central business districts throughout the country to provide increased levels of service for the unique needs of the downtown core. WDI will evaluate what increased service levels, if any, would be best suited for downtown and how they would be implemented.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow