David Chase files order, shares what he claims happened in case - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

David Chase files order, shares what he claims happened in controversial domestic abuse case


A prominent Nashville contractor disclosed what he claims happened in a controversial domestic abuse case.

David Chase filed a temporary order of protection in General Sessions Court against his ex-girlfriend. This comes more than a month after Chase allegedly attacked the woman twice.

Chase levied several accusations against the woman in the paperwork. He claimed the ex-girlfriend continually harassed and stalked him two months after they broke up – he even alleged the woman punched him in the face.

"I fear for my safety, my well-being and that further harm will come to me from this woman," Chase wrote.

Metro Police arrested Chase June 8 after the woman called 911. She testified in court that Chase had dragged her out of his apartment by the ponytail when she came to his apartment to collect her belongings.

But court documents show judicial commissioner Tom Nelson waived the twelve-hour cooling-off period mandatory in all domestic violence cases, ultimately releasing Chase from jail. The instruction came from General Sessions Judge Casey Moreland.

The alleged victim said Chase returned to the apartment, where she had been collecting her personal items.

"I knew I had 12 hours so I knew I had to get everything out," the woman said in court June 19. She claimed Chase choked her and threatened to kill her. "I couldn't breathe. I was just gasping. He told me he was trying to break my neck."

But Chase paints a different picture. In his statement, the contractor said he had asked the ex-girlfriend to move out of his apartment after they split. He then claimed the woman repeatedly called and texted him the next several days, ignoring his requests to return an access key and garage remote.

On the morning of June 8, the woman reportedly contacted Chase seven times. Chase said the ex-girlfriend burst through the front door after he arrived home from a charity event.

"When she finally would not leave, I grabbed her purse and her phone and threw them out in the hallway," he wrote. Chase then claimed his ex-girlfriend returned with Metro Police, who arrested him.

While Chase was in jail, the woman allegedly tried hacking into his smart phone 19 times; she also stole his apartment keys, according to Chase.

Several hours later, Nelson released Chase from jail. When he returned, he found his ex-girlfriend in his apartment. Chase claimed when he tried calling for help, he found his phone disabled. The statement details how the woman allegedly punched him in the face, then struck him in the head when he tried calling 911 on her phone.

The woman called police again and "made further false statements to them," Chase wrote.

The case ignited tensions among domestic violence advocates and local leaders. Metro Police Chief Steve Anderson wrote a scathing letter lambasting Moreland for waving the hold.

Night commissioner Tom Nelson signed off on the order that released Chase that day, even though he noted on the paperwork that Chase "is a threat to the alleged victim."

"I don't know why Mr. Chase is requesting the order of protection. The timing seems to be a little suspect. Is it retaliatory or not? I can't say," said Jim Todd, a local attorney in Nashville.

Todd is not involved with the case. But he said Nelson's role is "not fishy at all."

"The magistrate's position is to determine whether there's probable cause. Probable cause is a low standard," he said.

Kathy Walsh is the executive director of the Tennessee Coalition to End Sexual & Domestic Violence, an agency that trains judicial commissioners. She said in general, courts should rarely issue cross protection orders involving the same victims and defendants.

"I think it sends a chilling message to other victims who become aware of this situation and they'll have less confidence in the system if they think somehow they're going to be punished in some way for reaching out for help," Walsh said.

When asked about Nelson's role, court administrator Warren Hassle said he could not comment on an ongoing case.

Judge Amanda McClendon decided June 19 that Chase must undergo drug and alcohol testing, as well as wear a GPS and scram monitoring device that measures blood alcohol content. A scram revealed Chase had alcohol in his system at a level of .308 the night of the incident. Chase was also forbidden from reaching out to the victim.

In the order, Chase asks to cut off contact from his ex-girlfriend. He also requested she refrain from posting comments, pictures or information about him on forums or social media.

Chase's attorney, Richard McGhee, did not return phone calls on Wednesday. Attempts to reach Chase's ex-girlfriend were also unsuccessful.

The issue goes to court Aug. 6.

Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly