First Alert Forecast: Showers, t-storms likely through the weeke - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

First Alert Forecast: Showers, t-storms likely through the weekend

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Low pressure sliding along a front and then offshore will enhance shower and thunderstorm chances through the weekend. A drier pattern returns to begin the new week.  Details...

WEEKEND: Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms are likely through the weekend. Localized areas could see several inches of rain. Storms will also contain a lot of cloud to ground lightning strikes. Sunday will feature a 40% chance of scattered t-storms. Behind a front, high temperatures will fall into the mid and upper 80's with winds shifting to the east. Low temperatures will be in the low 70's. 

MONDAY AND TUESDAY: Conditions dry out and we'll see mostly to partly sunny skies with seasonably hot temperatures. Highs will be around 90.  Lows will be in the low 70's.  Rain chance is low ~ 10%-20%. 

WEDNESDAY TO JULY 4TH: Better chances of isolated or scattered afternoon showers and t-storms courtesy of a more active piedmont trough and an approaching cool front later in the week. Wednesday and Thursday will be hot and humid with highs mainly in the mid 90's. Heat index values will be near 100. Highs fall to about 90 Friday. Expect muggy lows in the mid 70's.

TROPICS: A broad area of low pressure located about 150 miles southeast of the coast of South Carolina continues to produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions are expected to remain conducive for gradual development of this system while it drifts southward offshore of Georgia and northeastern Florida in the coming days. Within the next 48 hours, there is a 40% chance of tropical formation. Within the next 5 days, there is a 60% chance of tropical formation. If necessary, an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate this system Sunday afternoon.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.

  • First Alert Weather NewsFirst Alert Weather NewsMore>>

  • First Alert Forecast: hot and humid Memorial Day weekend

    First Alert Forecast: hot and humid Memorial Day weekend

    Saturday, May 27 2017 4:39 PM EDT2017-05-27 20:39:45 GMT
    Expect a warm start Sunday morning with southwest breezes and temperatures in the low 70s. (Source: WECT)Expect a warm start Sunday morning with southwest breezes and temperatures in the low 70s. (Source: WECT)

    Hotter and more humid weather will be the rule as the Memorial Day weekend begins.

    More >>

    Hotter and more humid weather will be the rule as the Memorial Day weekend begins.

    More >>
  • NOAA releases 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season forecast

    NOAA releases 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season forecast

    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:29 PM EDT2017-05-25 16:29:18 GMT

    NOAA - the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - released its 2017 Hurricane Season forecast for the Atlantic Basin Thursday.

    More >>

    NOAA - the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - released its 2017 Hurricane Season forecast for the Atlantic Basin Thursday.

    More >>
  • Hurricane cone-ology

    Hurricane cone-ology

    Today, satellites and supercomputers have vastly improved hurricane forecasting and warning. But one of our age's best tools for communicating a hurricane threat, the National Hurricane Center's official “forecast cone," can be misrepresented and is often misunderstood.

    More >>

    Today, satellites and supercomputers have vastly improved hurricane forecasting and warning. But one of our age's best tools for communicating a hurricane threat, the National Hurricane Center's official “forecast cone," can be misrepresented and is often misunderstood.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly