Hammerheads rally to earn tied against Kickers - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Hammerheads rally to earn tied against Kickers

USL Pro Press Release

RICHMOND, Va. – The hometown fans experienced an absolute thriller Saturday night, as the Richmond Kickers drew Wilmington Hammerheads FC 2-2.

Matthew Delicâte scored his eighth and ninth goals on the season in the first half, but late goals from Wilmington substitute Jordan Hamilton and Mickael Oliveira drew the away side level.

Wilmington came out guns ablaze with a couple of chances in the opening 10 minutes. The first came in the thirrd minute when Wilmington defender Christian Davidson sent a cross into the box. His cross was met by the head of Richmond defender William Yomby, but only as far as Wilmington midfielder Paul Nicholson whose shot sailed over the bar.

The second chance came in the 10th minute when Wilmington midfielder Tom Parratt's free kick was punched away by Richmond keeper Joe Willis. Willis' punch traveled to Wilmington striker Mickael Oliveira, whose shot against the grain of the defense was headed away by Yomby inside the six-yard box.

In the 13th minute, Richmond was on the board when Matthew Delicâte found the back of the net. Richmond midfielder Shay Spitz's free kick, found Delicâte soaring above the Wilmington defense, and his header found the left side netting.
Richmond nearly doubled their lead a minute later when Richmond defender Henry Kalungi's long ball found forward Jason Yeisley. Yeisley sent the ball across the goal to Spitz, who then laid the ball off for George Davis IV. Davis IV's low shot was sent away from Wilmington defender in the six-yard box.

Richmond would get their second goal in first-half stoppage time, when Spitz's cross found the head of Yeisley. Yeisley headed the ball to Delicâte, who nodded the ball back across the frame into the left side netting.

After a slow start to the second half, the Hammerheads gained momentum after an injury to Yomby in the 70th minute.

Willis came up big with saves in the 74th, 76th, and 78th minutes before Wilmington was able to get on the board in the 80th minute. The goal came on one of 11 corners in the second half when Oliveira found substitute Jordan Hamilton to bring the score to 2-1.

Wilmington would get their equalizer in the 84th minute. Wilmington defender Christian Davidson switched the play to substitute Sunny Jane on the right side of the box. Jane cut the ball back to the top of the eighteen, and after a step-over by Sammy Ochoa, Oliveira rocketed a shot off the left post and in.

Richmond had two chances down the stretch to get their third, the first coming in the 87th minute. Richmond substitute Nate Robinson, made a long run down the left wing and cut across the face of the defense. Robinson found some space inside the box, but his shot went over the bar.

In the 89th minute two Richmond substitutes connected when Christiano Francois, sent a long ball into the box that found Tishan Handley. Handley turned into space in front of goal, but his shot went right at keeper Quillan Roberts.

Wilmington would also have three chances in stoppage time to take the lead. In the 90th minute Oliveira's out swinging corner bounced around in the box before making its way to Hamilton at the penalty spot. Hamilton's blast drew Willis' best save of the night, fully extending himself to his right to glove the ball away.

In stoppage time, Davidson flicked on substitute Drew Ruggles long throw-in at the near post. Oliveira found himself on the end of the flick and his bicycle effort forced another diving save from Willis.

The subsequent corner saw the final chance of the match when Jane's ball found the head of Parratt in the middle of the box. Parratt headed the ball directly at Willis, and the game ended.

The Richmond Kickers return to City Stadium on Wednesday, June 18 to host the New England Revolution in the U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round.  Tickets are on sale now at RichmondKickers.com.

Powered by Frankly