Residents use Sea-Doos to get around flooded neighborhood - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Residents use Sea-Doos to get around flooded neighborhood

D'IBERVILLE, MS (WLOX) -

Two days of rain has caused the Tchoutacabouffa River to rise as many as six feet above flood stage.

"I was freaking out," Riverwalk North Resident Nathan Tavai said.

Tavai said he looked out his window Wednesday morning and saw water covering the streets.

"It's been kind of crazy. I woke up at 7 for a final and saw the water was above our mailbox out in the front yard," Tavai said. "There was a Papa John's car that we saw that was completely flooded, so it's been pretty deep, pretty crazy."

Most of the residents have the drill down pat, take the Sea-Doo until it is too shallow, then wade in the water until you get to your car parked on higher ground. That trick saved Tavai from missing his final exam.

"We are relatively new," Tavai said. "We moved in about a year ago, but it has happened two or three times since we have lived here, so we are getting used to it."

"No, it's nothing I like, but it's where I live right now so I have to deal with it," said resident Vicky Amos.

Amos is also fairly new to the neighborhood, but it only took her getting stuck inside her house one time to learn.

"I was due to work, and I could not get there because my car was inside my garage," Amos said. "The flood does not come up the hill where I live, but you are stuck because you can't get out of your garage. Last night for preparation, when I heard on WLOX that it was going to rise the river was rising, I decided to move my car out."

Next, Amos said she will get a Sea-Doo or boat to get around like her neighbors do.

"I need to invest in it if I plan on staying here," Amos said.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

1 student injured in Florida school shooting; suspect in custody

Friday, April 20 2018 9:27 AM EDT2018-04-20 13:27:44 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 10:39 AM EDT2018-04-20 14:39:55 GMT

One student was injured in a school shooting at Forest High School in Ocala, FL. Police say the shooter is another student.

Couple killed Vietnam vet, burned body while kids watched, authorities say

Friday, April 20 2018 7:58 AM EDT2018-04-20 11:58:17 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 7:58 AM EDT2018-04-20 11:58:17 GMT
    Stacie Mendoza and her husband, Jose Mendoza, were arrested in the torture and murder of a Vietnam War veteran. (Hanford Police Department via AP)Stacie Mendoza and her husband, Jose Mendoza, were arrested in the torture and murder of a Vietnam War veteran. (Hanford Police Department via AP)

Authorities believe Stacie Mendoza, a waitress, used her friendship with Kenneth Coyle to get access to his financial information.

American ISIS wife endured horror, now wants to come home

Thursday, April 19 2018 7:26 PM EDT2018-04-19 23:26:55 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:02 PM EDT2018-04-20 01:02:08 GMT

Sam Sally says she was coerced by her husband, who has since died, into crossing into ISIS territory while on vacation in Turkey four years ago.