WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Crews from the Wilmington Fire Department spent several hours Saturday morning on the scene of a house fire in downtown Wilmington. The house is located in the 400 block of South 3rd Street.
Fire crews have ruled the cause to be accidental.
The call came in just before 7 a.m.
Firefighters said they saw heavy smoke and flames coming out of the living room when they arrived.
Officials say one person was inside when they got to the home and they escorted her outside. The homeowner was then taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation.
Two cats were also in the home at the time, they were both taken out of the home, however one of them has died.
Damage is estimated to cost more than $100,000.
The home was a historic three story home and was built in the late 1880s.
Stay with wect.com for updates on this story.
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved
322 Shipyard Boulevard