Lab results have confirmed a norovirus outbreak in Buncombe County, health officials announced on Tuesday.
Buncombe County Health and Human Services said the virus has affected schools in the area, causing hundreds of absences.
Last week, Dixon Elementary School reported 123 absences on Thursday and over 140 on Friday, including seven students who were sent home.
School district spokesperson Charlie Glazener said they cleaned the school after students left with a bleach compound and they will continue to do it for up to two weeks.
BCHHS said they are working with the schools that have been affected by the virus.
Officials said the virus is not only hitting schools, but also affecting the community, including elderly adults and children in child care centers.
Health officials suggested several steps to prevent the spread of the norovirus:
There is no treatment for the norovirus,but officials said to seek medical help if you become dehydrated from the symptoms.
Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.