BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WECT) - A Brunswick County family is recovering after a fire damaged their home on Captain Atkins Drive in Southport.
Firefighters responded to a working fire with heavy smoke showing shortly before noon on Saturday.
Assistant Fire Chief Todd Coring said the homeowner was transferring some gas from a lawnmower when fumes were ignited by a heater in the garage causing the fire to spread.
Nobody was injured and the fire was ruled accidental. Firefighters were able to control the fire within 20 minutes of arrival at the scene.
The garage was detached from the house so the house is okay, but there was extensive damage to the interior of the garage.
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard