WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Officials with the Wilmington Fire Department say improperly discarded smoking material caused a fire at an apartment complex Sunday.
Officials say the call came in around 2:50 a.m. from 1206 Columbus Circle, in the Chateau Terrace Apartment Complex.
One resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said they were driving home and spotted what looked like embers and fire in the sky above the complex. The resident said when they got closer they realized the apartment was on fire. They said they called 9-1-1 and went door-to-door getting neighbors up and out of the building.
Neighbors said they were grateful for wake up call. One resident said she was asleep and didn't realize the apartment next door was on fire, she said things could have been much worse.
Officials estimate $30,000 in damages to the building; two apartments sustained damage from the flames and two others were damaged by the smoke.
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.