OAK ISLAND, NC (WECT) – A man's life was saved after firefighters pulled him out from a burning home in Oak Island.
Oak Island Fire Chief Chris Anselmo said the Oak Island, Yaupon Beach Volunteer, and St. James Fire Departments responded to a structure fire at 112 NE 51st Street in Oak Island just before midnight on Friday night.
Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen from unsupervised cooking materials.
When firefighters arrived on scene, they found a man lying face down on the kitchen floor.
Anselmo said he was completely unconscious and appeared to already be suffering from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters pulled the man from the home and took him to Dosher Hospital in Southport. He was later transferred on a ventilator to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington.
The man is being treated for breathing problems caused by severe smoke inhalation but is expected to be okay.
Anselmo said the house that burned is not a complete loss.
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard