NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Crews with Duke Energy Progress called 911 when a house caught fire in the northern part of New Hanover County after power was restored.
According to investigators, two burners on the stove were left on when the power went out, one with a pan of grease on it. The fire started when electricity was restored Friday.
Investigators say the owner of the home was gone for less than an hour at the time of the fire to buy a generator.
The fire was contained to the kitchen, but the whole house has significant smoke damage.
Firefighters are concerned that families who lose power while cooking sometimes forget to turn off the stove.
When power is restored in those cases, the appliances will immediately turn back on and cause a fire if no one is there to monitor it.
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.
The girls had befriended a man on Instagram, who bought them a one-way plane ticket for what they thought would be some modeling in music videos.