WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - An educator with the Wilmington Fire Department and New Hanover County Fire Rescue is urging area residents to ensure their smoke detectors are working properly.
The educator, Meg Langston, said the winter months are the time period in which most fires caused by heating units occur.
Langston recommends that people change the batteries in their smoke detectors twice a year, and test the device to make sure it works once a month.
She even suggested dating the smoke detector with a marker every time it's checked.
She said one local man avoided disaster just weeks ago, after a fire had started.
"The reason he woke up is he heard the smoke alarm going off so we do have those instances where because their smoke alarm went off, that is what saved them," Langston explained.
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard