A house in Columbus County was destroyed after it caught fire twice within five hours.
It happened on Gum Swamp Road in Bolton, where there aren't any fire hydrants.
BOLTON, NC (WECT) - A house in Columbus County was destroyed after it caught fire twice within five hours. It happened on Gum Swamp Road in Bolton, where there aren't any fire hydrants.
A few concerned citizens in the area reached out to us after they say they witnessed firefighters from their town run out of water while fighting the house fire.
According to investigators the fire initially started around 11:30 Sunday night. They were able to put it out. But Monday morning, it became engulfed in flames once again.
Neighbors said while firefighters from Bolton were trying to connect a hose, some water from a tanker truck leaked out and they had to wait on assistance from other fire departments.
According to the county fire marshal, they did not run out of water but faced challenges since the fire was under the house. Investigators say, the house was built just 11 months ago.
"One of the firemen did get his daughter's wedding picture out. But other then that everything, they lost everything. So, oh God we're praying for them. I offered my home to them. I told them if they wanted to come to my home they're welcome to come," said Mamie Beatty, a concerned neighbor.
Investigators believe the fire was started by a malfunction with the stove. The homeowners were home when the fire started, but fortunately no one was injured.