NORTH CAROLINA (WECT) – Ten people were killed in traffic accidents during the Thanksgiving holiday period, according to preliminary numbers announced by the Highway Patrol.
Highway Patrol says the holiday period officially began at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 27 and ended at midnight, Sunday, Dec. 1.
Of the ten accidents, one happened on Holden Beach Road near Holden Beach Seafood.
According to Highway Patrol officials, Rhonda Varnem lost control of her vehicle, crossed the center line and hit another vehicle driven by Mark Teague.
Teague died as a result.
The following is a breakdown of the fatal accidents in 2013:
• NC130 (2.7 miles north of Holden Beach)
• State Road 1322 (.36 miles south of Salemburg)
• State Road 1647 (4.5 miles north of Cherryville)
• NC273 (1.58 miles south of Belmont)
• NC279 (3.52 west of Dallas)
• US70 (8.7 miles east of Beaufort)
• State Road 1103 (4.6 miles northwest of Wilkesboro)
• US64 (1.6 miles west of Franklin)
• US117 (In the city limits of Mount Olive)
• NC41 (6.4 miles east of Lumberton)
Last year during the same time period, Highway Patrol investigated 11 fatal collisions, 432 injury collisions and 1,457 property damage collisions.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard