SOUTHPORT, NC (WECT) - Southport fire crews have cleared the scene of a gas leak in the 400 block of North Lord Street.
The intersection was closed to traffic as crews worked to clean up the scene.
According to Southport Fire Captain Charles Drew, a construction company was clearing debris from a parking lot when a backhoe struck an underground propane tank causing the leak.
No homes were evacuated, and at this time, it is under control.
It does not appear any criminal charges will be filed.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard