WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - From a delivery driver robbery at Houston Moore Sunday night to the NHC Sheriff's deputy involved shooting earlier in the month at Creekwod, residents, Wilmington Housing Authority officials and Wilmington City leaders have been searching for ways to make housing authority properties safer.
WHA commissioners will vote during their meeting Monday night on newly proposed rules designed to increase safety in the area. If passed, the changes will go into effect immediately.
Some of the changes proposed include a curfew for people under 18 and limitations of visitors.
WHA Board Chairman, Jeff Hovis has said a lot of times, it's a non-residents who cause the issues on properties.
Representatives with the WPD will be at Monday's meeting to give an update on the effectiveness of their added patrols at housing authority properties as well as their plans to keep the areas safer moving forward.
The public is also invited to speak their opinions one last time before the vote for the new rules in final.
The board is also looking at changing the way they keep an eye on resident incomes, to make sure the people living in housing authority properties are the ones who need help the most.
The rule will say that those who make 80% of the area median income, for more than a six month period, will no longer be eligible for the public housing program.
Housing authority officials said a special report that WECT did helped them consider the proposed change.
In the report, WECT discovered several people living in public housing were making $30,000 annually. That's more than most people on a waiting list. The report also revealed a family living in Jervay Place was making $83,000 a year.
According to Hovis, the managing agent with the new rule is that all income is verified at the time when they annually re certify the resident.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard