From candles to cooking: how to lose everything in minutes - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

From candles to cooking: how to lose everything in minutes

Posted: Updated:

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - From candles to cooking, some of the nicest things in the home can be the most dangerous.

According to the latest NFPA research, cooking is the leading cause of home fires. Two of every five home fires begin in the kitchen—more than any other place in the home. Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries.

Accidental candle fires are the reason behind more than $100,000 in home destruction reported in Wilmington just this week.

To spread the word on how to keep fire from spreading in your home, the Wilmington Fire Department and New Hanover County Fire Rescue will host their 8th Annual Fire Expo, on Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Independence Mall on Oleander Dr.

There will be information booths for adults, fire safety games for children, truck displays, performances by the Carolina Firecrew and more.

Each child that participates in the Fire Expo will receive a FREE Fire Safety Book.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow