NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – The health department in New Hanover County will no longer be accepting applications for participation in the Women, Children & Infants (WIC) program.
According to an email sent by County Manager Chris Coudriet to commissioners, it appears there is enough money to carry current program participants through the end of the month.
Coudriet explained last week that "New Hanover County expects to lose $300,000" weekly in revenue and are "currently isolated to the Department of Social Services."
Several federally funded programs will be suspended, eliminated or frozen in an effort to make up for the weekly reduction of $300,000.
Adult Day Services of Wilmington moved forward Monday without federal funding. The program director, Jennifer Riker, said she first learned the county couldn't funnel any money towards the facility due to the federal government shutdown.
Riker plans to keep the business going, despite her plea for county dollars being turned down. New Hanover County Board of Commissioners Chairman Woody White said there is nothing the county government can do to help with federal money.
According to Coudriet, WAVE is petitioning the city and/or county to pass a resolution back-stopping its federal funding challenge. The county manager, however, does not plan to move the resolution forward since it is not administrative policy to replace federal funds with county funds.
This is the first stop-loss plan as a response to the federal government shutdown. Coudriet said in the email the administration will revisit elements of the plan on a daily basis and watch the progress in Congress closely.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard