Commissioners move forward with moving trash out of county
White said Monday night that the debate over solid waste was "paralysis by analysis".
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Leaders in New Hanover County are moving forward with a solid waste plan after a 4-1 vote Monday night.
The Board of Commissioners approved entering a service contract with Waste Industries to haul the county's trash to a landfill in Sampson County.
Previous boards had passed on the idea without an official vote. Jonathan Barfield, one of two commissioners to serve on the board previously, provided the lone dissenting vote Monday night.
Barfield has always supported the refurbishment of the county's incinerator, WASTEC. He said the plan could create job loss for the Environmental Management department similar to what happened when commissioners voted to close the incinerator more than two years ago.
"Some of those folks will indeed stay there," Barfield said. "But at the same time, you're going to see a reduction in force."
Monday's decision also created an oversight commission that will include two county commissioners. They're tasked with negotiating a contact with Waste Industries.