Mold problem grows; 2 New Hanover County schools now affected - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Mold problem grows; 2 New Hanover County schools now affected

School officials originally moved 21 students in the library after mold was found in one of the units, and some 5th graders were moved to Parsley Elementary Wednesday. School officials originally moved 21 students in the library after mold was found in one of the units, and some 5th graders were moved to Parsley Elementary Wednesday.

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – New Hanover County School leaders now say they have identified mold issues in mobile units at two elementary schools in the county.

Earlier this week, around 100 fifth graders at Bellamy Elementary were moved to Parsley Elementary after mold was detected in the fifth grade mobile units. The remediation process at Bellamy is expected to take up to sixty days. The students were set to be taught in mobile units at Parsley.

Bellamy parents asked for the mobile units at Parsley to be tested and school officials agreed. Late Thursday, school officials admitted one of the five mobile units tested positive for airborne mold. School officials claim that unit at Parsley was only used part-time in the last couple years. They say they will not hold class in any of the contaminated units.

Bellamy students that were in the newly discovered contaminated mobile unit at Parsley will now be moved to the mobile unit that housed the art classes.  The Parsley art teacher will travel to individual classrooms for instruction in the interim. 

Steve Crowe said his daughter has now been taught in mobile units with mold at Bellamy and Parsely elementary schools.  He said he was furious when he found out his daughter had been exposed at two schools.  

"My first reaction was I started to throw what was in my hand at the wall.  I was so disgusted.  People saw me hulk up," said Crowe.  "I'm very upset."

The release also states a fourth grade mobile unit at Bellamy tested negative for mold contamination in further testing.

The New Hanover County Schools Deputy Superintendent, Dr. Rick Holliday, tells WECT.com that no other schools are being tested for mold at this time.

Keep clicking on WECT.com as we work to get you answers in this developing story.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • BREAKING

    Bill Cosby convicted of sexual assault

    Bill Cosby convicted of sexual assault

    Tuesday, April 24 2018 5:55 AM EDT2018-04-24 09:55:21 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 3:31 PM EDT2018-04-26 19:31:34 GMT

    The jury in Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial has reached a verdict: guilty on all counts.

    More >>

    The jury in Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial has reached a verdict: guilty on all counts.

    More >>
  • Suspect in serial killings was obsessed with lawn care

    Suspect in serial killings was obsessed with lawn care

    Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 4:51 PM EDT2018-04-26 20:51:07 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

    The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

    More >>

    The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

    More >>
  • Ford shifts gears, will stop making nearly all its North American passenger cars

    Ford shifts gears, will stop making nearly all its North American passenger cars

    Thursday, April 26 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-04-26 15:55:54 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 4:25 PM EDT2018-04-26 20:25:34 GMT

    Over the next few years, the automaker will cut its North America passenger car lineup by more than 80 percent.

    More >>

    Over the next few years, the automaker will cut its North America passenger car lineup by more than 80 percent.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly