CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WECT) – A Beulaville firefighter was the first to respond to a fire at the Drifter's Reef Motel in Carolina Beach Friday night.
According to Carolina Beach Deputy Fire Chief Sword, the vacationing firefighter smelled smoke, got the motel manager to open the door, then put out ninety-five percent of the fire using a fire extinguisher. Sword says the fire was mostly out, due to the Beulaville firefighter, when the Carolina Beach Fire Department arrived on scene.
The fire was contained to one room, and there are no reported injuries. Sword says preliminary findings look like the fire was most likely started by candles. The candle was blown out, but appeared to be close to a nylon bag which melted and then caught fire. Minor damage was done to a dresser, television, clothing and bed linens.
No charges have been filed at this time.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard