A Federal Reserve survey shows the U.S. economy held steady during the 16-day partial government shutdown, growing moderately in most regions from October through late November.More >>
A Federal Reserve survey released Wednesday found that the U.S. economy held steady during the 16-day partial government shutdown, growing moderately in most regions from October through late November.More >>
Thursday, October 17 2013 4:40 PM EDT2013-10-17 20:40:19 GMT
(RNN) - By passing a last-minute deal on the debt ceiling, and a 16 days-late deal on the government shutdown, Congress finally got back to doing its job. So, what now? Some people may see it as the timeMore >>
With a budget passed only until January, a debt ceiling deal through February and a bunch of days off for Congress until then, the country may be back in the same situation soon.More >>
Thursday, October 17 2013 5:27 AM EDT2013-10-17 09:27:22 GMT
A last-minute deal has been struck, allowing the federal government to avoid a shutdown. A shutdown would have suspended all federal government services deemed non-essential. All federally-funded museums,More >>
Congress has passed a bill to fund the government and lift the debt ceiling, avoiding default. More >>
Sunday, October 13 2013 6:52 PM EDT2013-10-13 22:52:24 GMT
WASHINGTON, DC (RNN) - Despite the WWII Memorial being closed, members of the Million Vet March have gathered in Washington, DC to protest the government shutdown – according to media reports. "We do notMore >>
Veterans gathered at the World War II Memorial in Washington, DC to protest the government shutdown.More >>
Saturday, October 12 2013 10:44 PM EDT2013-10-13 02:44:59 GMT
People nationwide have been unable to access welfare benefits through their EBT cards Saturday. Reports on the matter indicated the issue has no connection to the government shutdown.More >>
Xerox, which handles EBT systems in several states, said Saturday night the problem that prevented people from using their cards to shop has now been corrected. More >>
(RNN) - In the wake of the bloodiest conflict since Egypt's 2011 revolution, dozens more have died in Friday violence that erupted after the Muslim Brotherhood called for a mass rally despite a national state of emergency and a curfew.
It brings the total to more than 600 Egyptians dead and 4,000 injured since Wednesday's clash between supporters of ousted President Mohammad Morsi and Egyptian security forces escalated the conflict that began with Morsi's forcible ouster last month.
Leaders on either side of the growing divide rallied their supporters to take to the streets on Friday, according to Aljazeera. In response, the military deployed units across Cairo and Gaza to curtail the protests, called "Friday of Anger" by Morsi backers.
Tens of thousands took to the streets and the AP reported the death toll at 60 people earlier Friday.
Fighting started on Wednesday when military security forces began bulldozing tents, firing tear gas, and arresting protestors who have been set up in camps for weeks. Snipers fired at protestors trying to escape while riot police surrounded the camps, according to reports from Aljazeera.
In an effort to curtail the violence, the interim government declared a month-long state of emergency and will enforce nighttime curfews in some cities, including Cairo.
Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday called for an end to the violence, saying that it defeats the country's goal for peace.
"Today's events are deplorable and they run counter to Egyptian aspirations for peace, inclusion and genuine democracy," Kerry said. "The Egyptians inside and outside of the government need to take a step back. They need to calm the situation and avoid further loss of life."
As neighborhoods are being destroyed by violence, The New York Times reported that mosques have been turned into makeshift morgues, as hundreds of bodies of those killed in the conflict were brought in. Many of the dead were killed by gunfire.
Mohammed El Baradei, resigned as Egypt's interim vice president of foreign affairs. The Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, who sought out a peaceful, negotiated resolution to the violence said, "I cannot bear the responsibility for one drop of blood."
In light of the violence in Egypt, President Barack Obama is canceling Bright Star, a planned military exercise in the country.
"While we want to sustain our relationship with Egypt, our traditional cooperation cannot continue as usual when civilians are being killed in the streets and rights are being rolled back," Obama said. "As a result, this morning we notified the Egyptian government that we are canceling our bi-annual joint military exercise, which was scheduled for next month."
The president has asked his national security team to evaluate the situation and actions by the interim government, which could influence policy toward Egypt moving forward.
Pentagon spokesperson George Little says that by canceling Bright Star, they hope to signal to the Egyptian government that the U.S. is concerned about the recent violence in the country.
"We strongly encourage the government of Egypt to take appropriate measures to move toward a political transition that emphasizes inclusively and emphasizes freedom of assembly and to take steps to restrain from violence and exercise restraint," Little said in a news conferece.
Chuck Hagel, Secretary of Defense, said that the U.S. is "ready to work with all parties to help achieve a peaceful, inclusive way forward."
According to the Associated Press, the violence continued on Thursday as police were authorized to use deadly force to protect themselves and important buildings.
The State Department has warned Americans to avoid traveling to the area and those who are currently in the country should leave.
Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard
Wilmington, NC 28412
Main Phone Number: (910) 791-8070
Newsroom: (910) 791-6681