First Alert Forecast: Late-week rain chances to increase as cold - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

First Alert Forecast: Late-week rain chances to increase as cold front approaches

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Rain chances will increase late in the week and the weekend as a cold front settles in the area. Remnant Chantal moisture may help bolster those rain chances.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT: Expect partly cloudy skies, light and humid south breezes, and lows in the 70s. Rain chances will stay nice and low: near 10 or 20%.  

THURSDAY: Expect partly sunny skies, highs in the upper 80s, and a growing chance for a shower or thunderstorm (20% early, 40% late). Primary hazards: heavy rain and lightning.

FRIDAY: Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms are likely (rain chance: 60%). Hazards: heavy rain, poor-drainage flooding, lightning. Highs: low to mid 80s.

WEEKEND: Expect variable clouds. Saturday shower and storm chance: 60%. Sunday shower and storm chance: 40%. Also expect daily high temperatures in the lower and mid 80s.

A PEEK INTO NEXT WEEK: Rain chances will likely lessen through the early and middle parts of the week as a drier high pressure system builds in from the east. Daily highs: mainly 80s.

RIVER FLOODING UPDATE: The Northeast Cape Fear River at Burgaw is expected to fall below its flood stage of 10 feet Thursday.

CLICK HERE for more on the remnants of Chantal (what makes it a "remnant" system, what's ahead for it, etc.).

First Alert Meteorologists Gannon Medwick, Colin Hackman, Eric Davis, and Iisha Scott will keep you updated.

Know before you go: with our weather home page by clicking here.

Don't forget to download the WECT First Alert Weather app to stay ahead of the storm.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow