RALEIGH, NC (AP/WECT) - A three-judge panel on Monday upheld the boundaries for North Carolina's legislative and congressional seats drawn by Republicans, saying the lines don't damage constitutional rights of citizens.
The Superior Court judges, in a unanimous 171-page decision, rejected the arguments of Democratic voters, civil rights groups and election advocates who sued over the lines and argued they were racial gerrymanders.
"It is the ultimate holding of this trial court that the redistricting plans enacted by the General Assembly in 2011 must be upheld and that the enacted plans do not impair the constitutional rights of the citizens of North Carolina as those rights are defined by law," the ruling said.
The decision, which is likely to be appealed to the state Supreme Court, represents a huge victory for GOP legislative leaders whose chambers drew the maps.
The lines are supposed to be used through the 2020 elections and have already contributed to GOP lawmakers padding their majorities in the General Assembly and holding nine of the 13 U.S. House seats in the state.
The decision also marks a setback for Democrats reeling in North Carolina after poor showings in the 2010 and 2012 elections. Republicans now control the legislative and executive branches for the first time in 140 years. Successful 2010 elections gave Republicans the power to draw the maps based on the once-a-decade census figures.
The ruling pointed out that each judge "independently and collectively arrived at the conclusions" set out in the decision, despite their "differing ideological and political outlooks." The judges - Paul Ridgeway of Wake County, Alma Hinton of Halifax County and Joseph Crosswhite of Iredell County - were appointed by Chief Justice Sarah Parker to hear the case.
The lawsuits were first filed in November 2011. The judges agreed to let the 2012 elections continue under the enacted plans. They heard four days of oral arguments this year, including two days last month.
The lawsuits argued that the maps are unlawful because they needlessly created legislative districts in which black residents are a majority of the voting-age population. They said the GOP illegally packed black voters into sprawling districts, split voting precincts and failed to keep whole counties within districts.
Attorneys representing the state and legislative leaders disagreed, saying the maps were fair and in line with previous federal and state redistricting decisions. 2011 Redistricting Committee chiefs Sen. Bob Rucho, R-Mecklenburg, and Rep. David Lewis, R-Harnett, said the ruling is "clear repudiation" of the arguments in the lawsuits.
"This unanimous decision should put to rest the baseless arguments that the General Assembly engaged in racial discrimination during the redistricting process," they said in a news release.
Those who challenged the maps sounded poised to appeal Monday. "There are numerous issues that will need to be resolved by higher courts," according to a news release attributed to the dozens of Democratic voters who filed one of the lawsuits.
The Rev. William Barber, president of state chapter for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, which also sued, said the judges didn't disagree with the facts they presented.
"It's a disagreement of interpretation of law," Barber said.
In particular, the mapmakers said creating black-majority districts in some areas of the state were a lawful way to prevent the state from subjecting itself to legal claims under the federal Voting Rights Act.
In the ruling, the judges wrote several times that the General Assembly "had a strong basis in evidence," including other court cases, hearing testimony, previous election results and map and census data, to draw the maps the way they did. The General Assembly "was justified in crafting redistricting plans reasonably necessary to avoid such liability," the judges wrote in affirming motions to dismiss the lawsuits.
The plaintiffs challenged 30 districts - nine in the state Senate, 18 in the state House and three for Congress. They complained that Republicans created many majority-minority districts in regions where black voters had elected their favored candidates in coalitions with whites for decades to diminish their voting power.
Those who sued also contended that race was the predominant factor - and an illegal racial gerrymander if true - in forming four districts not subject to the Voting Rights Act.
But the judge wrote that evidence showed the maps were drawn with many factors in mind, including protecting incumbents, complying with the state constitution and make maps "more competitive for Republican candidates."
Click here to see Congressional map upheld by the panel, compared to the previous redistricting plan which you can see here.
Click here to see the state House of Representatives map upheld by the panel, compared to the previous redistricting plan which you can see here.
Click here to see the state Senate map upheld by the panel, compared to the previous redistricting plan which you can see here.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Friday, March 7 2014 8:10 AM EST2014-03-07 13:10:59 GMT
SWANNANOA, N.C. (AP/WECT) - State Sen. Martin Nesbitt, who this week stepped down as minority leader because of illness, has died. He was 67. Senate Democratic Caucus Director Ford Porter said NesbittMore >>
Just days after stepping down as the Senate Minority Leader in the General Assembly, state Sen. Martin Nesbitt (D-Buncombe) passed away from stomach cancer.More >>
Wednesday, March 5 2014 8:03 AM EST2014-03-05 13:03:49 GMT
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina state Sen. Martin Nesbitt has stepped down as the Senate's minority leader because of a recent medical diagnosis. Sen. Dan Blue is taking his place. The Senate DemocraticMore >>
State Sen. Martin Nesbitt (D-Buncombe) has stepped down from his position of Minority Leader because of a health issue. Sen. Dan Blue (D-Wake) will be filling the role.More >>
Sunday, March 2 2014 10:02 AM EST2014-03-02 15:02:31 GMT
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – A flurry of final-day filings on Friday added candidates to races for seats in Washington DC, Raleigh and southeastern North Carolina. New Hanover County Commissioner JonathanMore >>
Several last-minute filings set up primary challenges for candidates seeking office in Raleigh and Washington, DC. Nearly all Sheriffs in southeastern North Carolina will also have primary challenges in 2014.More >>
Friday, February 28 2014 12:00 AM EST2014-02-28 05:00:12 GMT
FLORENCE, SC (WECT) – Will Breazeale, the 2008 Republican nominee for North Carolina's 7th Congressional District seat, has decided not to run for the same office in 2014. In a news release sent out lateMore >>
Will Breazeale, who won the GOP nomination in the 7th Congressional District in 2008, has decided not to make another run for the office in 2014.More >>
Thursday, February 27 2014 8:05 AM EST2014-02-27 13:05:29 GMT
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - State House Speaker Thom Tillis embraced the Republican agenda he helped push through North Carolina state government as he filed officially for the U.S. Senate. It's the same agendaMore >>
House Speaker became the latest Republican candidate to file paperwork and run for a seat in the United States Senate. Two Libertarian candidates also signed up, bringing the total number of candidates to nearly a dozen.More >>
322 Shipyard Boulevard
Wilmington, NC 28412
Main Phone Number: (910) 791-8070
Newsroom: (910) 791-6681