Anthony Michael Rose Yarnell Hill Fire - WECT, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Anthony Michael Rose

Anthony Michael Rose Anthony Michael Rose

Anthony Rose was one of the youngest victims.

He worked as a firefighter in nearby Crown King before moving on to become a Hotshot.

Retired Crown King firefighter Greg Flores said Rose "just blossomed in the fire department. He did so well and helped so much in Crown King. We were all so very proud of him." Flores said the town was planning a fundraiser for Rose and hoped to also have a memorial to honor him.

"He was the kind of guy that his smile lit up the whole room and everyone would just rally around him," he said. "He loved he what as doing, and that brings me some peace of heart." He leaves behind a girlfriend pregnant with their child.

Anthony wasn't just a son, fiancé, brother, or soon-to-be father. He was also a hero. Not only was he a hero to his family and friends, but a hero to his community. He spent the early part of his life growing up in Zion, IL, where he was born, before coming out to Arizona at age 16. He resided in Crown King for five and a half years with his uncle.

He started volunteering at the Crown King Fire Department shortly after and began as an employee when he turned 18. In 2008, the Lane Two fire broke out in Crown King, and when he helped with the fire and saw the Hotshots working so hard to save the town he lived in, it sparked something inside to become a wildland firefighter. He became a captain on Engine 3 in Crown King, and almost a year later he first trained with the Granite Mountain Hotshots. He could not believe how hard they worked and how dedicated and compassionate all the Hotshot guys were. He was offered a job in 2011, but couldn't part from Crown King just yet.

Anthony had met Tiffany just prior to Hotshot training, and she lived in Wisconsin until June 2011, when she moved out to Arizona with Anthony. He finished up in Crown King in January 2012, and then moved to Humboldt. He began working for Granite Mountain Hotshots that spring. He was incredibly excited about working for them and wanted to make hot-shotting a career for himself. He loved his first year with the crew and bonded with everyone in a special way, earning the nickname "Baby G". In January 2013, he and Tiffany moved to Prescott Valley to be closer to work.

On Feb. 1, they found out they were expecting. After trying so hard for this, Anthony was extremely excited to hear the news. He looked forward to the season, to work hard on fires and explore new areas. In May, when they found out they were having a baby girl, and he couldn't have been more thrilled. He was very excited he was going to be a dad, and looked forward to meeting her in October. The night before they left to go to the fire in Yarnell, he and Tiffany enjoyed one another's company cuddling in bed watching TV.

The next morning he got up earlier than normal since they were going on another fire, just not knowing where yet. Tiffany got up with Anthony to see him off, and they gave each other kisses numerous times before he left. He kissed her tummy, telling their baby girl to be good for mommy, that he loved her so very much, and that he would see her soon – not knowing that he wouldn't be returning. Now they will always have a guardian angel looking down on them and he will be by their side forever, until they meet again.

Crown King Fire Department posted the following tribute to Anthony on their website.

"Anthony started volunteering for the Fire Department in 2008. His first fire was the Lane 2 fire, a wildland fire which threatened the community of Crown King, destroying five homes and burning 9,600 acres. He started full time employment in May 2009 and worked for the Fire Department until the end of January 2012. He was eager to learn and never hesitated to participate in training courses whenever offered. He responded as part of an engine company on a variety of incidents from structural fires, medical emergencies to wildland fire incidents. His greatest passion was responding to wildland fires. He left employment with the Crown King Fire Department to work for the Granite Mountain Hotshots. Anthony was a highly motivated, reliable, and hard working person, always ready and willing to help someone out when needed. Past and present employees are devastated by this loss, as is the entire Crown King community. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his and all the fallen firefighters families, coworkers and communities."

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly