WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Each year, the City of Wilmington puts on an impressive display of fireworks to celebrate our independence. WECT will air the fireworks LIVE online, on the mobile app, and on television July 4 after a showing of the Southport parade.
This year, for the first time in the history of the Battleship Blast, the show will shoot from a barge. Zambelli Fireworks, one of the largest pyrotechnics company in the world, is making their debut in Wilmington for this explosive event.
The show is expected to kick off around 9:00 p.m. and last for about 20 minutes.
Get to the Riverfront early to enjoy the celebration all evening long. The Street Fair starts at 5:00 p.m. with entertainment provided by Heart & Soul in Riverfront Park with food, music and more fun on Water Street.
• City decks located at 115 Market St. and 114 N. 2nd St., the County deck at 212 N. 2nd St. and the Wilmington Convention Center deck will charge a $7.00 event fee beginning at 2 p.m. Parking on street is free.
• The upper level of the Water Street deck will be closed to pedestrians and vehicles. The lower level will be open for parking with access from Grace Street between Water and Front streets with a $10 event fee.
• Water between Market and Grace and the 00 blocks of Market and Princess will close at 1:30 p.m. (event area); Chestnut between 3rd and Front will close as early as 5:00 p.m. (for traffic purposes).
• Areas west of 3rd St. towards the river will close as early as 6:00 p.m. once parking is no longer available. If you are planning on parking in the downtown district or in one of the parking decks arrive early.
• Authorities will maintain a safety zone for 30 minutes after the fireworks around the launch site. No thru boating traffic will be allowed.
Check here for more detailed information from the City of Wilmington.
• Vehicles should park on the side of downtown (with Chestnut St. being the dividing line) that is closest to the direction they will travel after the fireworks have ended.
• Traffic parked south of Chestnut St. will be diverted south towards Market St., Dawson St. and the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge - includes the City parking decks in the 100 block of Market St. and in the 100 block of N. 2nd St.
• Traffic parked north of Chestnut St. will be diverted north towards MLK Parkway and the Isabel Holmes Bridge - includes the NHC parking deck in the 200 block of N. 2nd St.
• Expect delays when arriving and leaving the downtown area due to large volumes of traffic for the event. Those using parking decks can expect longer delays due to high volumes exiting at one time.
• No standing, stopping or parking on bridges, roadways or along medians on route 17, 74/76, 133 or 421 – police will monitor these areas and towing will be enforced.
• A detour will occur at the 421 N. ramp from 74/76 as early as 6:00 p.m. or when necessary.
• For traffic information call 511 or visit the NCDOT TIMS website at http://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/.
Click here for a printable map with parking and street closure information.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.