Rancher Whole Beef Wellington
Skip Laskody, Harris-Teeter
- 1 4lb. Beef tenderloin, trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- HT Traders olive oil from Umbria, as needed
- 8 oz. pate de fole gras (found in the cheese case in the deli)
- 2 lbs. puff pastry (frozen case)
- Egg wash, as needed
Trim 3 to 4 inches of the tail from the tenderloin. The small tail portion can be used for some other preparation. Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper and sear in a small amount of oil in a large rondeau. Remove from the pan and cool.
Spread the puff pastry dough into a rectangle approximately 3/16th inch thick and large enough to wrap around the entire tenderloin.
Turn the tenderloin over and place it lengthwise, pate side up, in the center of the pastry. Fold the ends over and wrap the pastry around the tenderloin, sealing it with egg wash and trimming off any excess.
Transfer the Wellington to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, placing the seam side down. Brush the surface with egg wash.