Northwest officer charged with solicitation of a minor - WECT, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Northwest officer charged with solicitation of a minor

Posted: Updated:
Michael Hayes (Source: NCDOJ) Michael Hayes (Source: NCDOJ)

NORTHWEST, NC (WECT) – An officer with the Northwest Police Department was arrested for solicitation of a minor for prostitution, according to the NC Department of Justice.

The police chief with the Boiling Spring Lakes Police Department requested assistance from the SBI on May 8 with an investigation into Officer Michael Hayes.

Hayes was arrested and charged Wednesday morning with one count of solicitation of a minor for prostitution and one count of filing a false report.

According to Northwest Police Chief C.O. Taylor, Hayes worked for the department for about eight years and started as a sergeant working his way up to lieutenant and was a K9 officer.

Taylor was shocked when he learned Saturday Hayes was being investigated by the SBI. He said he never saw it coming.

"I was shocked and disappointed and just hoped it wasn't true," said Taylor. 

When the SBI called Taylor Saturday to inform him of the investigation, the police chief put Hayes on suspension with pay pending the outcome of the investigation. Just a few days later, Hayes resigned.

Hayes gave Taylor a letter of resignation Tuesday which read:

"Please accept this as my resignation of the Northwest Police Department. I have some issues I need to attend to in my personal life, and I wish you nothing but the best."

According to arrest reports, Hayes contacted a then 17-year-old girl on a advertisement for a sex act. He then reportedly met the girl in Boiling Spring Lakes and exchanged $60 for the sex act.

He was also charged for making false statements and false reports to a Brunswick County Deputy regarding damage from bullet strikes on his car the night of November 27.

Taylor says Hayes was a good officer and worked his way up to Lieutenant. He says he was very dependable but was suspended once a few years ago for an incident involving consensual sex with a woman near his patrol car while he was in uniform. He was off duty at the time.

He says he and the rest of the department will continue to support Hayes.

"They are all in shock right now," explained Taylor. "They want to support him, they still want to support him, they are still there for him, that camaraderie is still there they are still there for him."

Hayes was given a $5,000 unsecured bond.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow