Unattended candle causes early morning house fire in Wilmington - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Mr. Biscuit, 2 other pets saved in early morning house fire

Fire officials gave the dog oxygen because it was not breathing very well when they rescued it. Fire officials gave the dog oxygen because it was not breathing very well when they rescued it.
Fire officials in Wilmington responded to a house fire in the 1000 block of Hanover Street around 2:15 Thursday morning. Fire officials in Wilmington responded to a house fire in the 1000 block of Hanover Street around 2:15 Thursday morning.

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Fire officials say an unattended candle caused a house fire in the 1000 block of Hanover Street in Wilmington around 2:15 Thursday morning.

When our crews arrived on the scene shortly after, fire officials had the fire under control.

According to fire officials, one adult and two children were home at the time of the fire. They were able to get out of the home before fire officials arrived on the scene.

Fire officials also rescued three animals from the home – a dog, a kitten and a guinea pig. Fire officials gave the dog oxygen because it was not breathing very well when they rescued it. All three animals survived and are doing well.

Family members say the dog, named Mr. Biscuit, was in the same room where the fire started. When crews brought him out of the house, they say that he wasn't moving and very limp. In order to help him, members of the Wilmington Fire Department gave him a special oxygen mask designed for pets. Family members say within minutes, Mr. Biscuit already started to come back to life.

"If Mr. Biscuit wasn't here, I would be very emotion," explained his owner Kendra Davis. She says she is very grateful to the fire department for helping him.

"I am so happy to have him, he could have been gone," she explained. Kendra says she has had Mr. Biscuit since he was a baby, and can't imagine life without him.

"He knows what I am going through, he'll come over and kiss me if I am having a bad day," said Kendra.

The Wilmington Fire Department says they have oxygen masks for all of their trucks, and the masks come in different sizes to help dogs and cats.

Damage estimates to the house totaled about $10,000, which includes $8,000 in structural damage and $2,000 worth of contents.

Investigators say the fire has been ruled accidental.

The American Red Cross is helping the family.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • breaking

    Teacher accused of bringing students home for sex

    Teacher accused of bringing students home for sex

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 4:24 PM EDT2017-09-20 20:24:41 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 5:20 PM EDT2017-09-20 21:20:20 GMT
    Jessie Lorene Goline (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)Jessie Lorene Goline (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)

    Arkansas State Police say a former Marked Tree teacher brought several students to her home in Jonesboro for sex, including two in the same night.

    More >>

    Arkansas State Police say a former Marked Tree teacher brought several students to her home in Jonesboro for sex, including two in the same night.

    More >>
  • Woman found dead after 2 days in bathroom stall

    Woman found dead after 2 days in bathroom stall

    Thursday, September 21 2017 7:00 AM EDT2017-09-21 11:00:02 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 7:00 AM EDT2017-09-21 11:00:02 GMT

    The health club says its employees are told to respect the privacy of people in bathroom stalls, which may have led to the woman being overlooked.

    More >>

    The health club says its employees are told to respect the privacy of people in bathroom stalls, which may have led to the woman being overlooked.

    More >>
  • Girl still buried in ruins of Mexico school, anxiety grows

    Girl still buried in ruins of Mexico school, anxiety grows

    Thursday, September 21 2017 2:05 AM EDT2017-09-21 06:05:54 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 3:26 PM EDT2017-09-21 19:26:33 GMT

    A delicate effort to reach a young girl buried in the rubble of her school stretched into a daylong vigil, much of it broadcast across Mexico as rescue workers still struggled in rain and darkness early Thursday trying to reach her.

    More >>

    A delicate effort to reach a young girl buried in the rubble of her school stretched into a daylong vigil, much of it broadcast across Mexico as rescue workers still struggled in rain and darkness early Thursday trying to reach her.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly