Unattended candle causes early morning house fire in Wilmington - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Mr. Biscuit, 2 other pets saved in early morning house fire

Posted: Updated:
Fire officials gave the dog oxygen because it was not breathing very well when they rescued it. Fire officials gave the dog oxygen because it was not breathing very well when they rescued it.
Fire officials in Wilmington responded to a house fire in the 1000 block of Hanover Street around 2:15 Thursday morning. Fire officials in Wilmington responded to a house fire in the 1000 block of Hanover Street around 2:15 Thursday morning.

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Fire officials say an unattended candle caused a house fire in the 1000 block of Hanover Street in Wilmington around 2:15 Thursday morning.

When our crews arrived on the scene shortly after, fire officials had the fire under control.

According to fire officials, one adult and two children were home at the time of the fire. They were able to get out of the home before fire officials arrived on the scene.

Fire officials also rescued three animals from the home – a dog, a kitten and a guinea pig. Fire officials gave the dog oxygen because it was not breathing very well when they rescued it. All three animals survived and are doing well.

Family members say the dog, named Mr. Biscuit, was in the same room where the fire started. When crews brought him out of the house, they say that he wasn't moving and very limp. In order to help him, members of the Wilmington Fire Department gave him a special oxygen mask designed for pets. Family members say within minutes, Mr. Biscuit already started to come back to life.

"If Mr. Biscuit wasn't here, I would be very emotion," explained his owner Kendra Davis. She says she is very grateful to the fire department for helping him.

"I am so happy to have him, he could have been gone," she explained. Kendra says she has had Mr. Biscuit since he was a baby, and can't imagine life without him.

"He knows what I am going through, he'll come over and kiss me if I am having a bad day," said Kendra.

The Wilmington Fire Department says they have oxygen masks for all of their trucks, and the masks come in different sizes to help dogs and cats.

Damage estimates to the house totaled about $10,000, which includes $8,000 in structural damage and $2,000 worth of contents.

Investigators say the fire has been ruled accidental.

The American Red Cross is helping the family.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow