One family in New Hanover County spent the weekend picking up the pieces after a fire destroyed their home early Friday morning.
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - One family in New Hanover County spent the weekend picking up the pieces after a fire destroyed their home early Friday morning.
Rudolph Rogers says he and his fiance, along with their five children, were asleep when the fire started in their home on Bozeman Road.
He says somehow his fiance woke up, and was able to get him up. Together they got their five children, ages 3 to 12, outside safely.
"The most important thing was the kids," said Rogers, "we had to get them out."
The fire destroyed almost everything, from pictures, to Rogers' military papers, to birth certificates.
"It's depressing, but I have to stay strong for the kids," said Rogers. He says even though starting over will be difficult, he's just happy that everyone he loves survived the blaze.
"There could have been a fatality, God was on our side," said Rogers. He says he is thankful for the New Hanover County Fire Department and for the Red Cross, which put his family up in a hotel over the weekend.
While New Hanover County Fire Department has not released the official cause of the fire yet, Rogers says he believes a candle started the blaze.