Spectators worldwide flying to Phoenix for Arias trial - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Spectators worldwide flying to Phoenix for Arias trial

PHOENIX (CBS5) -

You wouldn't know the Jodi Arias trial is winding down by the number of spectators that keep flowing in. They've flown in from as far as Australia for the chance to sit inside the courtroom.

On Thursday, people were hanging out in lawn chairs listening to a live broadcast of the trial.

"I was like, I have to come down here and see it in person," said Megan Youtkus. "My mom makes fun of me because I know everything about it, it's just always on. When I wake up, it's on, doing my hair, it's on."

"I wanted to come down here just to see the people's reaction to the trial," said Angelito Gomez.

"I get email alerts to my email," said Candace Gutierrez.

One of the TV networks is broadcasting the closing arguments here at Cityscape. A couple of blocks away on the courthouse steps, another crowd grows.

"I'm from rural Alberta," said Carole Moon.

People from all over the globe are descending upon those steps, some setting up at the crack of dawn, for a chance to sit inside.

"It's so surreal, I mean I've just been running on adrenaline all day," Moon said. "I can't believe it, I know it's not a rock concert, but I can't believe I got in today, I won the lottery."

Moon beat out dozens of people to be one of 11 spectators. She said there were around 80 people lined up this morning hoping to get in, and there was even a detention officer nearby to keep an eye on the crowd.

And though the excitement isn't wearing off any time soon, even these folks admit the end to this trial is a long time coming.

"I can't wait for the verdict," Moon said.

On Friday, the defense team will present their closing argument.

Stay with cbs5az.com for updates in the case.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Inside WECT.comMore>>

• SIDEBAR: Jodi Arias trial

Tuesday, January 13 2015 2:02 PM EST2015-01-13 19:02:59 GMT
    Monday, April 13 2015 3:28 PM EDT2015-04-13 19:28:00 GMT
    Jodi Ann Arias stands accused of shooting, stabbing and slitting the throat of her former boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in June 2008.More >>
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Florida man yells 'murderers!' as he's executed for slaying

Thursday, February 22 2018 8:24 PM EST2018-02-23 01:24:33 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:47 PM EST2018-02-23 04:47:48 GMT
    (Florida Department of Law Enforcement via AP). This undated photo made available by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement shows Eric Scott Branch in custody. Florida is scheduled to execute Branch Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018, for raping and killing a ...(Florida Department of Law Enforcement via AP). This undated photo made available by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement shows Eric Scott Branch in custody. Florida is scheduled to execute Branch Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018, for raping and killing a ...

Florida inmate yells 'murderers!' repeatedly as he's executed for his convictioin in 1993 rape and killing of a college student.

'Heartbroken' Kenworthy visits South Korean dog meat farm

Friday, February 23 2018 3:05 AM EST2018-02-23 08:05:09 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 7:06 AM EST2018-02-23 12:06:20 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). In this Friday, Feb. 23, 2018, photo, American freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy, left, and his boyfriend Matthew Wilkas watch dogs in cages at a dog meat farm in Siheung, South Korea. Kenworthy saved five stray dogs during the S...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). In this Friday, Feb. 23, 2018, photo, American freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy, left, and his boyfriend Matthew Wilkas watch dogs in cages at a dog meat farm in Siheung, South Korea. Kenworthy saved five stray dogs during the S...

The Associated Press joined American freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy on a tour of a Korean dog meat farm that's about to be shuttered by the Humane Society International.

Sheriff: School officer never went inside to confront gunman

Thursday, February 22 2018 1:14 AM EST2018-02-22 06:14:16 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 11:28 PM EST2018-02-23 04:28:03 GMT
    (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert). Mourners hug as they leave the funeral of Alaina Petty, in Coral Springs, Fla., Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.  Petty was a victim of Wednesday's mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Nikolas Cruz, a former student, ...(AP Photo/Gerald Herbert). Mourners hug as they leave the funeral of Alaina Petty, in Coral Springs, Fla., Monday, Feb. 19, 2018. Petty was a victim of Wednesday's mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Nikolas Cruz, a former student, ...

The students who swarmed Florida's state capitol in the wake of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High massacre face pushback in Legislature.