Firefighters in Hickman County responded to a fire in the administration building at the Turney Center Industrial Complex early Sunday.
According to dispatchers, the fire started around 8:30 a.m.
Dorinda Carter, spokesperson for the Department of Correction, said that there was a lot of smoke reported while the fire was burning.
According to Warden Wayne Carpenter, a microwave shorted out and caused the fire.
Carpenter said the fire did not affecting housing units where inmates were located.
Visitation was postponed while crews responded, however visitation has resumed, according to Carpenter.
Several firefighting units responded on the scene.
The Turney Center is a medium security facility that officers educational, vocational and substance abuse programs.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
322 Shipyard Boulevard