UPDATE: Missing remains recovered, police continue investigation - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

UPDATE: Missing remains recovered, police continue investigation

Posted: Updated: March 25, 2013 11:22 AM
The ashes of Claude Suggs, aka "Sarge," had been missing for three months. The ashes of Claude Suggs, aka "Sarge," had been missing for three months.

SHALLOTTE, NC (WECT) – The missing remains of a Shallotte man who died in January have been found.

William Suggs said he hired South Park Funeral Home in Hendersonville to cremate his 83-year-old father who died in January from a rare stomach aneurysm.

The ashes of Claude Suggs, aka "Sarge," had been missing for three months.

According to Detective Doug Jones from the Hendersonville Police Department, the ashes were recovered from a funeral home and delivered to Suggs Wednesday.

Police said they also found documentation from the crematory that confirms this was Sarge's body.

Claude's son, Mike Suggs says he is still waiting to receive the death certificate

State officials from the Board of Funeral Service are investigating the funeral home, which was shut down last week. Investigators seized everything inside the business, but Sarge's remains weren't there at the time.

Hendersonville Police arrested funeral home director Richard Mosley on Monday. He's facing 19 different charges.

Family and friends are shocked about what happened and are now demanding answers. Randall Brown was Suggs' best friend for over 20 years.

"He was a super guy and lived a full life," Brown said about the Vietnam War veteran. "I was very sad when he passed and I think about him every day."

Brown is trying to remember the good times that he spent with Sarge, but can't stop thinking about the mystery of his remains.

Brown says they plan to spread Sarge's ashes out to sea for his birthday on May 12.

Police will continue investigating the case.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow