Coble residents frustrated at slow clean-up month after tornado - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Coble residents frustrated at slow clean-up month after tornado

COBLE, TN (WSMV) -

One month after a tornado devastated a small Hickman County town, homeowners are growing frustrated by the amount of debris that still hasn't been cleaned up.

They say it's been a slow process to recover in Coble, and they're concerned that if something isn't done soon, flooding could be next.

"All of a sudden, I heard a big explosion, and the front door like exploded in on me," said storm survivor Nathan Estes.

The storm itself lasted less than two minutes, but in the month since, people have spent day after day trying to piece their homes back together.

"Working on this is slow. It's been a long, drawn-out process. It could always go faster, but when you're dealing with insurance and mortgage companies, it always takes a little bit more time," said storm survivor Darryl Yontz.

Though the area was packed with volunteers in the days after the storm, that help soon faded.

"Within a week or so, you're old news, and the help isn't here," said storm survivor Dina Gilbert. "They came out and were here for quite a while, but it's been a month later, nobody's here."

County officials said some of the delays in cleaning up have been a result of red tape. For example, one of the creeks that contains the most debris is a federally protected watershed, and the grant money or the approval for clean up so far hasn't come.

In the meanwhile, residents are doing the best they can with their own homes and desperately hoping they haven't been forgotten.

"We're doing what we can when we can as far as clean up, and we're fixing up when we can fix up - just kind of settling into a new normal," Estes said.

If you would like to volunteer, call the Hickman County Long-Term Recovery Agency at 931-996-2273.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • 'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children. 

    More >>
  • Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

    Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

        One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>

    One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>
  • BREAKING

    Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

    Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

    Sunday, April 30 2017 12:31 AM EDT2017-04-30 04:31:34 GMT

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly