EXCLUSIVE JAILHOUSE INTERVIEW: Man who ran from deputies says he has nothing to do with murder case

Montey Murray told WECT.com in an exclusive interview that he had nothing to do with the death of 3-year-old Jaronn McAllister.
Montey Murray told WECT.com in an exclusive interview that he had nothing to do with the death of 3-year-old Jaronn McAllister.

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Friday marks one year since Jaronn McAllister was murdered in Brunswick County and family members are still looking for answers.

Investigators have yet to arrest anyone in connection to the murder and prosecutors have yet to take anyone to trial.

For the first time ever, we are hearing from one of the men who spent time with Jaronn during his final moments.

"I can't even describe in words how I feel," said Montey Murray. "The only thing I can do is keep praying."

According to search warrants, the 3-year-old died from internal bleeding due to blunt for trauma. Those search warrants also say Murray and Jessie Holt were babysitting him the night before he died.

Some people have placed the blame on Murray and Holt since they were the last people Jaronn was with before he was pronounced dead, but Murray told WECT.com he is innocent.

At this point, no charges have been pressed against Murray or Holt in connection to the murder. Investigators have not confirmed if the men are suspects in the case.

Murray, who is now 27, said he hasn't come to terms with the fact the boy is gone and said he doesn't understand why people think he killed Jaronn.

"It's hard for me to say because it's a touchy situation," he said. "It just hurts me to try and think about it."

Murray admits he was with Jaronn the night before he died, but said he went to bed before Jaronn. When he woke up, Jaronn felt hot and was bending over in the fetal position.

Murray said he knew something was wrong.

He allegedly put Jaronn in a cold bath and moments later decided to take Jaronn to the hospital.

Murray said once he found out that Jaronn was dead, he hit the wall with his hand and left the hospital to see his cousin, Holt.

According to investigators, Murray drove down Highway 17 and when deputies pulled up behind him to try and stop him, he fled.

He reportedly led deputies on a chase through the county before he was finally stopped and arrested.

Murray claims he was not running from law enforcement. He told WECT.com he was trying to get back to the hospital to get more details as to what happened. He said asked law enforcement to follow him with their blue lights but that they ended up chasing him.

"I know I did not have anything to do with it," he said in an exclusive interview with WECT.

Murray said he had been out of a town for a few days before Jaronn's mother asked him to babysit that night. He thinks Jaronn may have suffered his fatal injuries before he spent the night with him.

"Like I said my story hasn't changed in a year and if you judge by the facts of what's going on with the situation, you got the autopsy, you got all that. They got things in there that can point to if a crime was committed."

"Why I have not been charged?" he asked. "Because the truth won't let me be charged."

Murray said he is not Jaronn's biological father but always considered himself his "daddy."

Murray also said that he doesn't believe Jaronn was murdered, but said if he was, he will do what he needs to in order to make sure justice is served.

According to Jaronn's grandparents, Jaronn's father is currently incarcerated in New Jersey.

They told WECT.com they have not received much information from investigators or the district attorney's office on their grandson's murder case.

Murray is still in jail.

He is waiting for his trial to begin for the other charges he received last year. Those charges include two counts of assault with deadly weapon government official and one count flee/elude arrest with a motor vehicle, according to the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office.

Murray said he hopes to get out of jail in April.

Just this week, Shallotte Police Chief Rodney Gause made a trip to the medical examiner's office in Chapel Hill to review the case.

Copyright 2013  WECT. All rights reserved.