WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Residents were allowed to return home Friday shortly after being evacuated just before lunchtime for a gas leak in the area.
According to officials, a contractor doing work in the 500 block of South Seventh Street in Wilmington was handling a gas line that was so corroded that it just fell apart.
Piedmont Gas responded to the leak and sealed off the line.
Only a few people were home during the evacuation.
No injuries have been reported.
Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.
“My instinct and training tells me that a smoke means there’s going to be a fire, and a car has gasoline in it,” Hinkle said.